Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #21
Hygiene Mama
Knitting the Flap

I'm a Dental Hygienist and I would recommend implants to those who would qualify, meaning, if you've got periodontal disease, that does not make a good candidate. You need so much bone in order to place the "post". Also, when or if you get an implant, metal is forbidden. As a hygienist, we have to use plastic instruments to clean an implant because they are so prone to scratching. A very good friend of mine got implants last February, on his mandible and has a full upper denture. It cost him 30K. But, it's so worth it. Bridges are fine too, but you would need to use a bridge threader to get under the pontic (fake) tooth. It's less money and there's still more of a chance of losing the teeth involved in the bridge if it wasn't cared for down the road. I hope that has helped you a little bit. Good Luck with your decision!

I Finally have a ravelry page:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SandyRDH
Hygiene Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hygiene Mama For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (06-04-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #22
Pat in Ca

I just got my tooth pulled yesterday.. not too bad,
But I cannot eat anything but "mushy" food..I think it will be a long time before I can eat steak or anything chewy..
The upside.. maybe I will lose weight!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Have some mashed potatoes or eggs or yogurt or ice cream!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (06-04-2008)
Old 06-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #24
Pat in Ca

Thanks Shandah..

I had mashed potatoes last night and they tasted soooo good..
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #25
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by bjc1050 View Post
Maybe I should show this to my dentist when I have the next implants done. I want to go to Ruth Chris. Their commercials sound sooooo delicious. Have never been. However, the nearest one to us is about 50 miles away.

Ruth Chris is an experience. You have a server who keeps quite an eye on you. He came around with a little brush and brushed the bread crumbs off the tablecloth before serving the main course. When we got there, we were asked if we wanted still or sparkling water and when we said still a bottle of water was produced and served like wine. We chose our meal and side dishes after choosing our cocktail and we had a lovely two hours of blissfulness and being treated like gentry. The problem was when the bill came. You see, we got charged for the bottled water, the main dish course (meat only) was $50 each and each side dish cost at least $10.00. We each had a potatoe and a vegetable oh and the salad was $7.00 each. I am amazed they did not charge us for the bread rolls, but perhaps they did, I didn't look that closely after seeing $300.00 for two people for one meal and we only had one cocktail each. I know the coffee after supper was $3.00 a cup. Yes it was a good meal, BUT $300 worth? I don't think so.

Having said that, the steak was very hot when it got to us and sizzled the whole time we were eating. I don't know what they used to make it do that, but I am sure it is probably loaded with cholestrol.

I got my bridges done four years ago, after having worn a partial denture since I was 16. It is lovely not having to worry about sneezing. My missing tooth was a front tooth. Now they look so nice and natural. I say go for the bridges!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #26
Pat in Ca

Thanks Hygiene Mama..

I think I will probably go ahead with the implant if I am able to..
I better start saving my pennies...Dental stuff have become so expensive, but I guess this is a relatively new procedure that was not available before... it sure beats dentures!! I remember my grandparents all kept their "dentures" in a cup of water at night..
maybe as implants become more commonplace, they will come down in price..
Old 06-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #27
Pat in Ca

It's kind of a blur to me now, but I think the dentist said that since i have 2 crowns on either side of the bad tooth, that a bridge was not a good option.. something about they would have to reconstruct those teeth in some way that would "compromise "
them..does that sound right..
Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #28
Pat in Ca

I won't have any $ left for Ruth Chris.. LOL
Old 06-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #29
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat in Ca View Post
Thanks Shandah..
I had mashed potatoes last night and they tasted soooo good..
I'm glad you enjoyed them.
Are you feeling better now?
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (06-07-2008)
Old 06-07-2008, 03:08 AM   #30
Pat in Ca

Yes,, thanks for asking... it is amazing how fast the body heals...
I just have a big hole right now that feels weird..They said it will take 3 months of healing before they start the process of the implant..
so I have some time to adjust.. but the bummer is when the dentist pulled my tooth, he damaged the tooth next to it.. chipped the crown..the whole side of the crown..
He said he will pay to have it repaired.. but I thought this guy was good... He went to Harvard and Columbia (the IVY league schoools) and he was about 40ish..I thought that was a bit of a screw up.. but oh well...