Old 05-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Bifocal Contact Lenses
Does anyone have soft bifocal contact lenses? Are you happy with the results? Did it take you long to get used to the lenses? I'm in the process of getting soft bifocal contact lenses and I'm having a very hard time. I have had 6 different sets of lenses in the past 8 weeks and still can't see well. The eye dr. told me it could be a long process but I'm getting very discouraged.

Right now I'm not happy with my vision, both near and far. I'm stuggling to see distance and struggling to read. I'm getting headaches from straining so hard. Is this normal?

The eye dr. said it takes a while to 'tweak' things because if you change the distance, it effects the reading, and then vice versa. I'm so unhappy right now and I'm not enjoying knitting, reading, even watching tv, as much as I used to because I can't see as well.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
MMario
Turning the Heel

What they did for me was give me one side near and one side distant - seemed to work well for me. They didn't want to go bifocal lenses because I only wear contacts to perform; so having the disparate eyes is easier to adjust then learning to cope with the befocal lenses.
McKnitty (05-23-2008)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

I tried bifocals for about 10 years and finally gave up. As I got older my far vision started to improve so that now I only wear distance glasses for driving; and very weak (1.25 lenses) for very fine closeup work. Good luck. Ellie
Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
gailf
Ribbing the Cuff

I am only wearing one contact lense to correct both my near vision and my far.
Its called monoviosion. It took a little while to get used to but I love it.
gailf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gailf For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (05-23-2008)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by MMario View Post
What they did for me was give me one side near and one side distant - seemed to work well for me. They didn't want to go bifocal lenses because I only wear contacts to perform; so having the disparate eyes is easier to adjust then learning to cope with the befocal lenses.

I wear hard lenses and have the one for distance/other for near and it works well. They call it "Monovision". It took a day to get used to but so far it's been good except for siting a rifle...which I never do. I asked about the bifocals and my Dr. said they were just too difficult to get used to.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (05-23-2008)
Old 05-23-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
Pat in Ca

I have wore contacts my whole life, and have worn bifocal contacts for maybe 8 years? maybe more.. long time.. I LOVE them..yes your brain needs to learn how to focus on things near and far....I did not have a hard time..You need to go to a good dr..it is kind of a specialty to be able to fit them.. make sure your dr.. I would try different types..I just really love them..it s not perfect but my vision is like really bad withouth them..I hope things work out for you
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (05-23-2008)
Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
I am in the group that did not like them. Like you I couldn't see very good with them. I tried like heck to get used to them. It was as if I didn't have glasses on. So back to the regular glasses again. This was almost 15 years ago and I see that it hasn't gotten any better. Oh well . Good luck on either way you go.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerbread For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (05-23-2008)
Old 05-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses. I guess I'll hang in there a little longer with the bifocal lenses, but if it doesn't get better soon I think I'll try monovision. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to go back to glasses, but I haven't worn glasses since 6th grade!

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
cheley
Working the Gusset

I have to chime in here...I never wore glasses till the 40 ish thing started happening...you start out with drug-store 100 then you can go all the way to 2.50, then it's like what the --ll is going on here..Well my doc says "My eyes are getting older" happens to everyone...I CAN NOT DO BIFOCALS (LENSES OR CONTACTS) CAN NOT DO MONOVISION (makes me want to barf) well, right now I am "trying" my prescription lenses as contacts then using reading (drugstore 2.50 over them) then, I just picked up some glasses (waste of $75.00 my insurance picked up the rest) cause they are bifocals (without lines) hate em!!!!!! So, as I type now,I am back too my good ole dollar readers..Good Luck Oh yea, one more thing I have astigmatism in my right eye so drug store readers work only on my left
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

I have never used contacts. When I needed bifocals I went straight to progressive lenses. I guess because I never used the lined ones I got used to progressive really quick. Other people have a terrible time getting used to them and some just don't. I don't think they can make my glasses any stronger but I do well with these. As long as i can knit and read I am all set.