Old 05-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
The thought of actually putting something on my eyeball just never seemed like a good idea to me. I just go with the normal glasses.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Originally Posted by cindycactus View Post
I have never used contacts. When I needed bifocals I went straight to progressive lenses. I guess because I never used the lined ones I got used to progressive really quick. Other people have a terrible time getting used to them and some just don't. I don't think they can make my glasses any stronger but I do well with these. As long as i can knit and read I am all set.
I never could get used to mine so I'm back to dime store readers. I wonder if something was wrong with mine though. I don't think I should see double after wearing them for awhile... right?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
The thought of actually putting something on my eyeball just never seemed like a good idea to me. I just go with the normal glasses.
At age 11, my glasses were having to be strengthened every year and at the time, I was told that wearing contacts would slow this down and it did. I have astigmatism, a hazy outline on hazy main objects except for within 12-14" of my eyes. Believe me, you don't want me driving without contacts. After wearing them for several years, only had to have them strengthened about every 5-6 years... they've been a sight-saver for me. Glasses actually have a short distance before they correct the vision and having side vision means turning your head. With contacts, although strange to put in the eye, this side vision is corrected and available. I'm not a candidate for lasic surgery so contacts will have to do.

Strangely though, when I reached 40 and a time when most people's eyes start needing reading glasses, my nearsitedness actually improved and I've had the same strength lenses for the past ten years. My eye appt. is next week and I suspect that they'll change them to a lower strength. I do wear glasses about 2 hours of the day. There is an extreme difference in my site with the glasses as opposed to lenses although they're the same prescription.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
1knittychick
Knitting the Flap

I was going to have laser surgery on my eyes until my school board gave me my pink slip. (Hopefully, I will be rehired soon--state passed the education budget today!) Now, I'm going to try the biofocal contacts. I have an appointment latter part of June. Keep us informed on how your fittings go.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #15
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

My vison got so bad that the last 5-6 years that I was wearing contact lens... I did have one eye for up close vision and one eye had a contact for distance vision.. and when I had the lasik surgery about 5 years ago... they did the same thing when they corrected my vision.. one eye does the up close vision and the other distance viewing... works for me.

I remember that the first time that I had the new contact lens in... it did take a few hours... to retrain the eyes to work together like they had to- with their new way of seeing things... but, it wasn't difficult, a problem.. no headaches or anything like that.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by iwouldratherbeknitting View Post
My vison got so bad that the last 5-6 years that I was wearing contact lens... I did have one eye for up close vision and one eye had a contact for distance vision.. and when I had the lasik surgery about 5 years ago... they did the same thing when they corrected my vision.. one eye does the up close vision and the other distance viewing... works for me.

I remember that the first time that I had the new contact lens in... it did take a few hours... to retrain the eyes to work together like they had to- with their new way of seeing things... but, it wasn't difficult, a problem.. no headaches or anything like that.
Hurray for you!!!! I just can't seem to get that concept
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

but, my contacts were just regular semi-hard contact lens... not bi-focals... the only difference is that one lens was for looking up close and one was made for distance vison..

(Which I don't understand how bi-focal contact lens would even work.. since, the contacts float around in your eye... unless they are weighted or something so that the bi-focal part is always at the bottom?? So, you look through that.. like you do with bi-focal glasses?) Maybe it's like magic?
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
Alyce
1st Leg of the Journey

I wore contacts for about 30 yrs and then started with the bifocals. I could never see well with the bifocal lenses and finally just went with glasses. I have now had cataract surgery on one eye and am wearing a lens in the other eye until I have surgery on it in a few weeks.
I hated wearing glasses and could never see well up close unless I looked over the top of my glasses, even though they were progressive lenses.
Getting older is not for sissies!!
Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

If you have astigmatism, the eye doctor can put extra weighting in the bottom of them to keep them from moving around. Contact lenses get uncomfortable when they dry out while you're wearing them. They sell rewetting drops that you can apply to make them feel better. I discovered that all rewetting drops are is saline solution. A big bottle of saline is under $5. A tiny little bottle of rewetting drops is almost $10. I saved my tiny rewetting drops bottle, prised the cap off, and filled it up with my big saline solution bottle. Just a money saving tip for contact lens wearers.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (06-23-2013)
Old 04-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

I wear contact lenses and have bifocal glasses to wear when not wearing the contacts. Tried the bifocal contacts and could never get used to them so I just use the dimestore readers over my regular contacts. I am relying on them too much though and can see just going back to glasses. I can't even read labels in stores without getting out these readers. Had to ask the clerk to check yarn dyelots for me one day when I forgot them - embarassing!
borealowl is offline   Reply With Quote