Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Blissknits
Ribbing the Cuff

How much yarn is left?
I can't believe I'm asking this, I'm sure it is the most obvious thing in the world (and I searched, and I couldn't find an answer...) but - how do you know how much yarn you have left when you've used up part of a skein? I could try to guesstimate, "half a skein" or something, but that's harder when you pull out of the middle. The skein collapses, so the size is much different than when you started.

I'm a new knitter, but bits of different yarns are starting to pile up. I'd like to use them, but...no can do if I don't know how much I have!

I am *not* feeling like a smart blissknits right now.
Blissknits is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
mwhite
Instepping Out

I'm afraid you'll have to measure it out either with a line counter or some device orrrrrrrrrrrrr from your outstretched hand to your nose is approximately 1 yard. It's the old fashioned way but very cheap. You can also weigh it. The original full skein will have a weight and you can estimate by that. Hope this helps...
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
Blissknits (05-22-2008)
Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Blissknits
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you! But...what is a line counter? I googled it and came up with a) a type of software for counting code lines and b)fishing equipment. I'm guessing (??) that neither of these is what you're talking about.

And, uh, I just bought a cone of yarn for a project that definitely won't take a whole cone's worth. Is this really how it works? I've got this vision of millions of people around the world un-coning their thread and measuring fingertip to nose, over and over again....and then re-coning it! Or winding it, or whatever!
Blissknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Short of measuring it there really isn't a way. I just go by the "there's some left" theory and assume whatever it is isn't enough to make whatever I want to make and then go and buy more.

Works for me

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Blissknits View Post
Thank you! But...what is a line counter? I googled it and came up with a) a type of software for counting code lines and b)fishing equipment. I'm guessing (??) that neither of these is what you're talking about.

And, uh, I just bought a cone of yarn for a project that definitely won't take a whole cone's worth. Is this really how it works? I've got this vision of millions of people around the world un-coning their thread and measuring fingertip to nose, over and over again....and then re-coning it! Or winding it, or whatever!
Actually a line counter is for measuring how much fishing line goes onto your reel and is somewhat cheaper bought from a fishing tackle store! LOL! I think most of us just weigh it and hit the calculator! Orrrr we do like Mason, run out or know we're going to, run and buy some more, keeping our fingers crossed that the yarn wasn't made on Monday or Friday and that it will not be a shade different!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
cam90066
Working the Gusset

This won't tell you the yardage but you can weigh the remainder to get a feel for the percentage. If the orig skein was 8 oz and you've used 4 (4 oz are unused) you've obviously used 1/2. (And whatever you're working on could be doubled in size, approx.) If you started with 8 oz and now have 2 oz left, you've used 3/4.

cam
Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Blissknits View Post
I can't believe I'm asking this, I'm sure it is the most obvious thing in the world (and I searched, and I couldn't find an answer...) but - how do you know how much yarn you have left when you've used up part of a skein? I could try to guesstimate, "half a skein" or something, but that's harder when you pull out of the middle. The skein collapses, so the size is much different than when you started.

I'm a new knitter, but bits of different yarns are starting to pile up. I'd like to use them, but...no can do if I don't know how much I have!

I am *not* feeling like a smart blissknits right now.
Yeah, me too. I weigh it. If 50g is 110yds...then 20g remaining is
44yds (40% of the skein). Using my WW scale, it weighs ounces and/or grams.

It is intersting to also weigh each skein (without the ballband) to see if the gram weight is correct. If not, I mark the actual weight of each on its own ballband.

My 10 natural (cream-colored) MALABRIGO skeins... 5 were right on target, 3 were underweight, and 2 were overweight. I adjusted the yardage accordingly.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I bought a small kitchen scale with a large basket from Bed, Bath, etc, which weighs gms and ozs. I weight what's leftover and calculate from what the full skein was.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
I'm low tech, I just guesstimate.

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I just went and got a book titled the Yarn Stash Workbook by Laura Militzer Bryant. It's got patterns and ideas for using up odds and ends of leftover yarn in your stash.
I'm hoping if I make enough socks I will have enough leftovers to make a tshirt.