Old 05-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
pattyl
Casting On

Substituting Sport Weight for Worsted Weight
Hi all,
I've never done a yarn substitution before and all the posts I've searched so far deal with substituting yarns of approximately the same weight, so this is a little different.

I have a pattern for a baby blanket in worsted weight. It uses a lace pattern. I found a sport weight yarn in the variegated colors I want to use. How do I calculate all the changes?

I know I could knit using 2 strands at a time, but what if I wanted to use just one strand? My thoughts are that if I am using a thinner yarn, I'd need to cast on more stitches to get the desired width, and I'd want to use smaller needles so that the holes in the lace would be smaller and more proportionate to the weight of the yarn. Am I thinking correctly so far?

So, how do I use the information given in the directions for the worsted weight yarn and the information printed on the sport weight yarn label to come up with the correct number of stitches to cast on, the size of the needles I'll need, not to mention the amount of yarn I'll need to purchase for the project.

Thanks in advance!!
pattyl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Your lace pattern should give you a number that tells you how many stitches your lace uses--usually a multiple of X plus Y. For example, if your multiple was 10 plus 3, you'd cast on the width you want using any multiple of 10 plus 3 more--13, 23, 33, 43, etc.

Use the needles called for on the yarn label and do a swatch of the lace pattern. That will give you an idea of how many repeats you'll need to get the width you want.

As for how much to buy? I'm afraid I can't really help you on that one.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
pattyl (05-24-2008)
Old 05-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
With lace though, you usually go up about 2 needle sizes. So if it says to use a 4 for the yarn, you'd probably want a 6.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
pattyl (05-24-2008)