Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #531
Staarrkatt
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've recently lost a pair of socks (that I hadn't worn that many times, either!) because the heel on one came apart in the wash (it was a MESS!) and the other heel was really, really thin. I could have darned both had I realized I needed to. :(

Anyhow, I know there is a product I can use in the heel area to reinforce it ... some kind of nylon thread. What I don't know is brand names to look for. Or where to look.

Any help, ladies? I want to use my pretty new yarn, but I'll be darned if I start my new socks until I have some of this nylon stuff in my possession!
Staarrkatt is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #532
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
The package I did was about my hometown, Jefferson Tx. I haven't received my package yet! *crosses her fingers that it's in today's mail*. Will let ya know when I get it!

~danielle~

Secksiebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #533
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I planned to do a dragonfly theme for my swappee. She loves purple so I wanted to do shades of purple with dragonflies. I never got the dragonfly act together but I did get her a lot of lavender stuff and the yarn is purple. It is Classic Elite Baby Alpaca Silk laceweight because she wants to knit shawls. I LOVE that yarn!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #534
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Staarrkatt View Post
I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've recently lost a pair of socks (that I hadn't worn that many times, either!) because the heel on one came apart in the wash (it was a MESS!) and the other heel was really, really thin. I could have darned both had I realized I needed to. :(

Anyhow, I know there is a product I can use in the heel area to reinforce it ... some kind of nylon thread. What I don't know is brand names to look for. Or where to look.

Any help, ladies? I want to use my pretty new yarn, but I'll be darned if I start my new socks until I have some of this nylon stuff in my possession!
"But I'll be darned" hehehehe

I used reinforcing thread for the first time on my Iguana socks, I used it in the heel (+ flap) and the toe, and ran out a about 5 rows before the end of the toe of the second sock, so I have to go back and get more. I got a 5 gram piece for about $3 from my LYS, I forget the name of the brand but I think it was German? I think Jawoll (sp?) brand sock yarns usually come with some matching reinforcing thread.

I read somewhere the other day though that reinforcing thread tends to make the socks wear out quicker, as in, the nylon thread creates more friction via walking around. Having just used it for the first time myself, I can't verify that but it makes sense logically. But rather than having the entire thread wear out, you end up with this little nylon mesh web (so I've read) upon which you can easily duplicate stitches. If you didn't have the nylon reinforcement, you'd just have a big mess of a hole, upon which I would think it'd be a bit more difficult to duplicate stitches. Oh, and the thing I read mentioned also that the nylon tended to make a very rough, almost stiff heel that was uncomfortable to walk on, but it also sounded like she was using PURE nylon thread, rather than a nylon-wool blend which is what I used.

With my current pair of socks I'm double stranding regular sock yarn to get a nice cushy but firm heel and toes. I'll have to see how that works out.
a.shin.grace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a.shin.grace For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (08-23-2008)
Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #535
oneyarn
Ribbing the Cuff

Sent the skull and cross bones which I titled "skulls rock" and recieved the hometown theme which also "rocked".

oneskein is all you need to knit happy
oneyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #536
princessbonniejane
1st Leg of the Journey

I got a beach theme! And I sent a mixed theme

Last edited by princessbonniejane : 08-22-2008 at 04:57 PM.
princessbonniejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:54 AM   #537
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

I sent a Princess theme and received a Dragon theme...somehow it
all felt connected hehe

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #538
Karina
Working the Gusset

Sorry I have been really busy lately, so have not had a chance to post photo's.

I received my pack on Tuesday from Cynamar . I got 3 skeins of Classic Elite Alpaca silk lace yarn in a lovely dark purply colour. Which I am going to swatch for the MS4. I also got a gift bag from Fiddlesticks with some Zephyr laceweight yarn, with a pattern for a little lacy bag and some lavender sachet to put in it. I have heard a lot of people mentioning the zephyr so will be nice to try it out. I also got a book 'at knits end' by the Yarn Harlot, and some lavender bath product. When I opend up my package I was engolfed in a heavenly sent. Thank you Cindy I love everything in my pack and can't wait to use the Silky Alpaca. Here is a photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	swap 003.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	49649
Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #539
JamOKnit
Knitting the Flap

I received an Ice Cream themed package, and sent off a summer rainbows sort of theme to my swappee!

I'm JamOKnit on Ravelry.
JamOKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #540
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I'm so glad yo ulike it! I didn't want to send it because I was loving the smell! The yarn was love at first sight for me. I thought you had to have it!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cynamar For This Useful Post:
Karina (08-22-2008)