Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
This time of year I love gardening but really haven't gotten into it that much since we moved. My mother in law and I used to hit all the greenhouses, plan layouts, trade plants, ect. I went and got 360 bricks for this crazy idea for my perennial garden and I just got to thinking how much I wish I had someone here that was into gardening that I could bounce ideas off of. You know?
Well, if you are inclined, I LOVE flowers and gardening - it's my passion this time of year - and I'd love to hear your ideas for your garden and what's with all those bricks! Feel free to PM me or reply through here...

BTW, I really can relate to you. I lived in the Midwest (MN and WI) for a long time and moved out here to Virginia after school because my parents had moved here from MN. Well, sadly, my Mom died in 2001 and after I married in 2004, Dad moved back to MN and since has gotten re-married. Now, don't get me wrong at all...I couldn't love Dad's wife and daughters more - it isn't that at all...but now I don't have family out here and it was only because it made Dad so happy that I was able to 'let go' somewhat and not fight this move. It is hard sometimes because he is busy doing things with and for my step-sisters who are my age and I do admit to some jealousy there...but it is tough because not only is all that going on, but my two best friends live in WI and it is SO hard to stay in good touch even with email and calling since we are all busy. I wish so much we could just sit down for a cup of tea or I could show them all my yummy yarn , but they aren't here. And sometimes making new friends seems like so much 'work', doesn't it? That's how I sometimes feel, anyway.

So anyway...I've rambled quite enough - there's a bit about me...I hope you see that you aren't alone - it's tough being away from those you care about and feeling lonely...but you aren't alone - we are here for you and that's a great start!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Shewhoknits
Ribbing the Cuff

I love to garden
Hey, a woman just emailed me to see if I would be an email gardening buddie. Now we chat on line about our gardens etc. Although she is much better than I, and does way more things it is still fun.

As far as the weight, I only wish I was as far along as you. I am done 8 lbs and have a long ways to go.

Congrats on your success!
Shewhoknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Thanks all. I really wish I felt better about the weight loss. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy, but it's not like I've really been busting my butt to do it. I don't count calories or make it a point to work out. I don't know what I've been doing really

We've owned this house for 2 years coming up in July, lived here for 3. I've been wanting to get rid of all these bushes that surround the house and garage. They are arborvitaes *I believe* First idea was to pull them out with our 1.5 ton truck. Well, it's just a little bush but it snapped the tow rope! So now I've been lopping off branches and think I'm going to just saw off the trunk. I tried digging up the trunk yesterday but the only thing I got out of that was a sore back Must buy a chain saw...

So, I think I plan to put some hostas in the front, of maybe those huge fern things. My perennial garden is on the side of the house, it's a tilled up 12x12 square. I was thinking of building like a multi leveled raised bed with a path thru it. Curvy, not straight lines. Then, in the front as well is a huge circle where we had a huge tree removed last year. I planted my veggies there last year, but it's really an eyesore. So, I need to figure out what to do with that as well.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #14
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

As you can see a lot of us are here for the companionship as well as the knowledge. As you can tell by my name I also am a gardener. I had a perennial nursery for about 12 years and have about 2 acres of yard and buildings. I even have perennial beds alongside my horse barn.
I have learned to enjoy my own company as my husband doesn't like any of the things I do and we live in the country and don't have a lot of close neighbors.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Thanks all. I really wish I felt better about the weight loss. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy, but it's not like I've really been busting my butt to do it. I don't count calories or make it a point to work out. I don't know what I've been doing really

We've owned this house for 2 years coming up in July, lived here for 3. I've been wanting to get rid of all these bushes that surround the house and garage. They are arborvitaes *I believe* First idea was to pull them out with our 1.5 ton truck. Well, it's just a little bush but it snapped the tow rope! So now I've been lopping off branches and think I'm going to just saw off the trunk. I tried digging up the trunk yesterday but the only thing I got out of that was a sore back Must buy a chain saw...

So, I think I plan to put some hostas in the front, of maybe those huge fern things. My perennial garden is on the side of the house, it's a tilled up 12x12 square. I was thinking of building like a multi leveled raised bed with a path thru it. Curvy, not straight lines. Then, in the front as well is a huge circle where we had a huge tree removed last year. I planted my veggies there last year, but it's really an eyesore. So, I need to figure out what to do with that as well.
That's even more impressive if you've been able to lose weight without that dreaded 'I've been at this forever and am so hungry I can't see straight' feeling!

I don't envy you for having to remove the bushes...I will say that the former owners of our home did that without removing the roots and now we have all these stupid shoots to contend with!

Hostas are fantastic...unless you have deer in which case you must not get attached to the lovely flowers or leaves since they are a deer delicacy! The variegated varieties are gorgeous though. Make sure you know what critters call your yard a buffet before planting new stuff - we've got tons of stuff that won't make it here due to deer and rabbits.

I think your perennial garden with a path idea sounds wonderful! And maybe for the huge circle, you could put either a pretty birdbath or tall planter and then smaller plantings around it? Just a thought to springboard from.

You've got some great ideas...can't wait to see how it all turns out!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
Jessica, sorry to hear that you are lonely in Iowa. I grew up in Lake View...west central part of the state, so I understand how it goes. Just remember that we are here for each other, even if most of the people where you are right now don't.
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #17
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Slightly OT but still pertaining to weight loss, I have given up on the idea that I'm ever going to be warm again. I am always freezing now! 5 minutes after sitting down I'm shivering, maybe it helps me to keep moving? You should see the office chair in here, I have a comforter that I wrap around me, a heating pad on my back, and a fleece throw over my lap!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #18
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
Oh, I can really relate! Julianne's dad has never taken her on weekends and I've only been comfortable leaving her alone in the evenings for a year or so but now I've lost touch with everyone I ever did anything with. I'm excited at the prospect of getting involved in the knitting community here in St. Louis (went to my first Knit Night Wednesday but it was cancelled for Stitch N Pitch) but I've found that one of the ringleaders of all of the activities is a chick who banned me from a mommy board a year ago and made everyone else mad at me. I just hope she isn't saying anything that will keep anyone else from getting to know me before they decide whether they like me.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

It really bites sometimes not having people out here who like the same things I do. And it's also hard to get motivated to do something when you're really the only one that's going to notice or appreciate it.
I feel your pain... just moved my daughter (and constant crafting companion) 400 miles away. She took the cat so now there's really no one to talk to... Hopefully things will get better for you...
ETA and noone to encourage my yarn spending...

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote