Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
fatima
Casting On

fatima
hi, my name is fatima and i'm new to knitting, i'm still having a hard time reading the patterns, i don't understand what c4f means, i'm trying to knit a hat for my future babies also i don't have cable needles, which i need so im using the normal knitting needles

i need help
fatima is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
Hello and welcome!

It helps when asking questions if you can link to the pattern. I suspect it means cable 4 front. Does the pattern explain what the abbreviations mean? A lot of them do. Also up at the top of the page is a glossary that has many knitting terms.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

c4f I think usually is to place 2 stitches on the cable needle (or whatever you are using for cabling) and let them fall to the front, then knit two stitches, replace the two stitches from the cable needle onto the other needle and knit them.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
feministmama
Instepping Out

You can use a smaller knitting needle or a safety pin or an untangled paperclip anything really for a cable needle. How adventurous of you to try cables as a new knitter. yeah you
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
feministmama
Instepping Out

Oh and welcome
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
It most likely means cable 4 front. You can do this without using a cable needle or anything to replace the cable needle either. I thought it would be hard, but it really isn't. You might try it. Here are some instuctions:

C4F: This is worked over the next 4 stitches on the left hand (LH) needle. Placing right hand (RH) needle behind the first 2 sts, insert into it into the back of next 2 sts, slide 4 sts off the LH needle. (Now you will have the 2 that you slipped, on the RH needle, and the other 2 just to the right of them, just hanging freely.)

Slip the left hand (LH) needle into the two hanging stitches, then slip the two stitches on the RH needle onto the LH needle as well. All 4 stitches are now on the LH needle and they are crossed for the cable. So just knit them.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
of troy
Turning the Heel

Reading knitting patterns is a skill in it's self!

most (99%) will use standard shorthand.

(there are blog pages with explanations, and many books will give standard short hand (some like K for knit are pretty simple, some like S1, K1, PSSO are not!)

and standard shorthand? well there are several standards (the UK standard, the US standard, and others.. (less common)

there are also, frequently several ways to do the same thing, --a left leaning decrease say--and sometimes, there are 'strange, or unfamiliar directions, (if you are used to SSK, a S1, K1, PSSO might be strange to you) --but in the end the appearance is what matters!--and you can 'replace' one set of directions with another--once you understand what the directions are about!

some good ideas

Read the introduction to the pattern, and swatch --not just for gauge, but swatch the stitches used in the pattern.

get an over view of how the sweater is knit

--in 4 peices? (front, back, 2 sleeves--then seamed?
Or
in the round, (starting Where?) seamlessly?

look at the schematic (if there is one) this is a simple drawing showing what the knit up pieces will look like (some times just block like squares, other times shaped)

Some people say: DON'T READ AHEAD --just knit, and as you work, complex instructions will be clear when you come to them.

others say: READ the ENTIRE PATTERN BEFORE YOU KNIT A STITCH.

both are correct!--do what ever works for you.

one good idea is to copy the pattern, (make 2 or 3 copies if you have access to a copier!)(it's perfectly legal to make copies of a pattern for your personal use.. just don't sell or share copies of patterns!)

and mark up the copy (highlight the numbers for your size, and use a post it note to keep track of where you are in the pattern, etc.)

In a short while, you'll master "knitting language"!