Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
LuLandymore
Casting On

Send a message via MSN to LuLandymore
Help! I have a random hole!
After discussing this with a knitted on another forum I go on, she got stumped and suggested I come here for help.

Pretty pretty please help. If there is no solution, what will happen if I leave it?

I thought id dropped a stitch but she went through it with me and talk about ladders etc but the ladder i have doesnt go up to the top. I'll show the pics that I showed her:

please can you help?

Lu

Married, UK mum of 2, 1 toddler and 1 fresh out of the oven!
LuLandymore is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
LuLandymore
Casting On

first pic the knitting is on one needle, the other tow the knitting is knit to where the hole is.

Lu

Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

what is your stitch count? have you dont an inadvertant yarn over creating an eyelet?
the other possibilty is that when knitting a stitch, you went into the loop below rahter than the loop on the needle.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
LuLandymore
Casting On

not sure about knit count as Im all out of sorts now. I may have one more or one less, im so lost (and so annoying new to knitting!)

Ivenever been able to do YO's to make a hole so i dont see how i couldve doe that here. i dont know.

Lu

Old 05-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Sometimes the needle gets caught in the running strand and you don't notice and that can cause a hole. Ask me how I know!

Anyway, the yarn is dark and it is near the edge, I would just sew a stitch in on the wrong side later.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
On looking really closely at the first picture it almost looks like the hole is the bottom of a vee shaped panel that looks like increases. If you take the area from the needle to the hole and lay it out flat on something (like a table) is there a line of stitches running to each stitch that is on the needle in the area about 5 stitches each side of the hole and above the hole? Does each stitch on the needle have a stitch column that continues to the edge of your knitting?

I can't read the green writing on the 3rd picture where it is over your skin, just where it is backed by black.

What are you making? You can do like Denise said and sew the hole closed later. That will work as long as you haven't changed the stitch count. Rest a while and count the stitch loops on the needle. Are they the same as what you started with or should have at this point, if you changed the stitch count somewhere on purpose. If the stitch count is only off one stitch, you could knit two together to get back to what you are suppose to have, if it looks acceptable to you, and sew the hole shut and not worry about it.

If you are just starting out, that black yarn is about the hardest color you could have chosen. It is very hard to see the stitches on black and can be frustrating even for the more experienced.

Don't get discouraged. It is a small error whatever it is. It looks like you are getting the hang of it. Beginners can make some of the most fascinating mistakes. :-) But you'll quit making these mistakes soon, with some practice. Only you can decide if this mistake and the "fudges" you'll have to make to bring it back to what it should be are acceptable to you right now.

You could rip it back to the mistake if it is unacceptable or you could try just taking the offending stitch/es back to the hole and bringing them up with a crochet hook. That can be daunting too, for a beginner.

Look at the top of the page for the purple tab that says, "view videos", point your cursor at it and a drop down menu will appear. Click on "tips" and it will take you to a page that includes some things about fixing errors. Watch those and you may get some help.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote