Old 05-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
Gardening, Landscaping, and other Home Improvement Projects
I thought I'd start a new thread so we wouldn't have to keep "digging" up my other one I was invited out to help a friend split her hostas, so I'll be coming home with some new ones!!! I'm also going to get myself a chainsaw and maybe a hatchet. 9 more bushes to go, but 3 currently have nests in them.

Last edited by JessicaR : 06-08-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Change in title
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

Excellent! I picked up a couple small hostas a couple years ago and now have 6 or 7 because they are happy here--since they stay small they are well on their way to making a nice edging around the little flowerbed along the deck. Haven't flowered yet tho'
Old 05-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Oh I love hostas! I they grow fairly wild on both sides of my house. I just let them be. It's a nice border and helps hide me from my nosy mean neighbor

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

I have mostly variegated hostas and they have grown huge in a few places even though I've divided them a few times. Will try to get a photo to post.

Also, have daylilies and peonies which are probably the easiest and most rewarding flowering plants to grow.

I just put in 3 tomato plants to help with my salad expense this summer. They are mostly paste type tomatoes and one regular slicing (Early Girl). Have seeds for cucumbers and squash which I hope to plant this coming week. Kind of got out of the habit of growing veggies after my stroke 4 years ago, but with every thing getting more expensive, I decided to try again.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Hostas are lovely and I'm sure yours will look fantastic!

I wish I had more full sun areas in our yard - we have that in the front but our homeowner's association doesn't want gardens in the front yard and I suspect the deer would just consider it a salad bar anyway, and our back yard gets only part sun. I'm just doing container gardening again this year - tomatoes; cherry tomatoes; peppers; chives; dill; sweet basil; rosemary.

Some years I try different herbs to see if I like them - like last year I grew pineapple basil which smells more like pineapple and basil while the taste is mostly basil but it worked okay in salads.

This year I was stunned to find chocolate mint...it smelled heavenly...like a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie! But it tasted just like regular mint so I was disappointed. I had visions of getting my chocolate fixes from something GREEN and good for me!!!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

I grew chocolate mint a few years ago just for decor and the smell
Old 06-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I saw your post about the hostas yesterday and thought to myself didn't I use to have hostas in the back yard next to the porch. Went out today with a rake and found a bunch of them barely poking through the ground. Our back yard is fairly wooded so I normally don't rake but it was worth it to get the hostas back! I'm hoping that now they are not covered in leaves they will be able to grow and catch up. Come to think of it I really need to make a map of my yard so I can remember were I have planted perennials. I was shocked last weekend when I was transplanting a bush to find a bulbish type thing starting to shoot right next to where I was moving the bush. My Mom swears it is a Peony I don't remember planting a peony there. I thought the memory was supposed to go much later. I'm not even 30 yet!

I would love a large veggie/herb garden in the back but I don't have a large enough area with enough sun. Right now I have been having pretty good luck using containers in my sunny spots. My neighbor all make fun of me for having pots of tomatoes growing on my drive way. But they have never turned a bag of tomatoes when I eventually get over run with them.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #8
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

I'm starting to think that my "brainiac" ideas are a little too much

We have a tractor tire rim we use as a fire pit. It's 17 inches deep and about 4 feet in diameter. Well, I had this great idea that it would look so cute if I buried it and put cute retaining wall blocks around it Well, 22 5 gallon buckets of dirt later and my idea seems more like a pain, literally!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Just caught your thread on gardening and was wondering if it is to late to plant tomatoes in containers? I love tomatoes but living in a retirement park they don't mind flower in the ground but not veggies. I have seen many a tomato plant in pots and I do have a large deck. One side has a roof and the smaller side doesn't and perfect for pots. So if someone with more of a green thumb than me could you let me know if it is to late. I sure hope not.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Gingerbread I don't think you are. You might not get as many tomatoes as someone who planted earlier but that might not be a bad thing! I planted grape tomatoes in early June last year. They don't take as long to mature. By the time the rest of my tomatoes that had been planted a month or so earlier were starting to mature I was already enjoying my grape tomatoes. They were so good!

Jessica I hear you on the brilliant ideas not being so great once you start to implement them. I won't share my story of trying to remove an overgrown holly bush. My only tip is make sure you cut all the branches before you begin to dig.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote