Old 05-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Pat in Ca

Largest grocer reduces prices 30% on food
http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/28/maga...tune/index.htm

Surprised?? yes, it's the company you love to hate..lol...helping the poor again..
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
bjc1050 (05-31-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
WildMountainHoney
Turning the Heel

From the last paragraph:
Quote:
In fact, it's the small suppliers that are feeling the pain from Wal-Mart's pushback the most. Bushwick has seen its costs rise 10% over the past year, but has passed only half that amount on to Wal-Mart and its other retailers.
There will be a lot more "poor" if small suppliers like this find, as fuel costs continue to rise, but they keep trying to offset for Wal-Mart, that they just finally can't do it and either face laying off employees or perhaps going under, or maybe "just" bankrupt.

And I freely admit it, I will shop the sprawlmart to keep my families budget afloat. But I know that I'm not helping the economy - unless keeping WalMart making $ is helping - but that is not helping my LOCAL economy, so I'm trying to look into more local food. I try not to fool myself into thinking WalMart cares about much other than maintaining a customer base, because once you're in there, I bet many spend more than they should - plus a friend worked there for years, so I've seen how she was paid, what her healthcare options were (over 40% of her take home pay! Thank goodness her dh has a job w/better benefits!) etc, etc.

OTN:
Bayerische Socks by Eunny Jang in Knit Picks Risata (for ME!)
in queue: Swirl glittens; lacy raglan for me; new cabled sweater for dh

WildMountainHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WildMountainHoney For This Useful Post:
knitasha (06-01-2008), Plantgoddess+ (06-02-2008)
Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
I just stopped eating, take that effers
Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Hey Jessica, your weight loss is wonderful!

I loathe shopping at Wal-mart, but prices there are much lower. $2.00 off a two pound Tillamook cheese. $0.90 cheaper for a dozen eggs, etc.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
Ugh, Walmart. I get sucked into this horrible cycle with them. I hate them, hate their business practices, yet I'm on a very tight budget and can afford much more there than other grocery stores. It's like my family's financial situation and my ethics are on opposing ends. Stupid Walmart.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

We have several grocery chains here and I can't figure out the "cheap Wal-Mart prices" for the life of me. Kroger's is far cheaper on most things, especially sale items, and the IGA and Shop n'Save are even lower on those items they carry. I DO go to Wal-Mart to buy the stuff we can't get elsewhere. Our area had several department store chains collapse at once, and for about ten years we had to depend on Big Lots and dollar stores for things like socks, underwear, shampoo--the stuff that grocery stores price out of sight if they have them at all. Getting most clothing, any kind of shoes and any craft items took a 50-mile round trip.

People preached the wonders of Sam's Club to me for so long I finally took up the free day offer because DH wanted to look for a radio he'd heard was cheaper. They wouldn't let me walk back into the store. I mean the security guard told me that DS, who was 13 or 14, and I couldn't look at the radios, but DH could. They wouldn't explain (and remember, I was the one carrying the coupon.) When I objected, the security guard and manager whispered off in the next aisle and came back to say DS could look, but I couldn't!

And then they had the nerve to send me a "why didn't you join?" invitation. Sure, I'll give you $35 for the privilege of buying stuff at only slightly higher than normal prices if I can find someone you'll let go in the store for me!
Inis (06-04-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Becky Morgan View Post
We have several grocery chains here and I can't figure out the "cheap Wal-Mart prices" for the life of me. Kroger's is far cheaper on most things, especially sale items, and the IGA and Shop n'Save are even lower on those items they carry.
Ditto! I use a local grocery store and stockpile shop there (buy a lot of what is on sale each week so I can make meals out of food that is always on sale). Meat is better and better priced as well. My store uses one of those "customer reward cards" and has a tally at the bottom of how much I saved this trip and how much I have saved to date. In the three and a half years I have not shopped at Wal-mart, I have saved over $7,000! I noticed that generally when Wal-mart would put things on sale, they weren't really on sale. Once they had Oreos for "2 for $5" when the regular price of them were $2.50 each. Another time their "sale" was on Cheez-its also 2 for $5 when the regular price was $2.49. Hmmmm. Lower prices still don't make up for poor customer service and employee respect.

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitncook For This Useful Post:
Inis (06-04-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Walmart has some things lower priced, but usually only by a few pennies. Mostly if you shop the sale prices or get generic/store brands at other stores, their prices are actually cheaper. I wandered through Sam's Club to check prices and they weren't a lot cheaper, if any, than other stores. Costco's the same way - if you want a brand name, they're a little cheaper, or you can save by buying in bulk. But for most things, or for just 2 people, there's really not a lot of savings there.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Walmart has some things lower priced, but usually only by a few pennies. Mostly if you shop the sale prices or get generic/store brands at other stores, their prices are actually cheaper. I wandered through Sam's Club to check prices and they weren't a lot cheaper, if any, than other stores. Costco's the same way - if you want a brand name, they're a little cheaper, or you can save by buying in bulk. But for most things, or for just 2 people, there's really not a lot of savings there.
This is what my DH and I have discovered. We do buy some items at Costco in quanitity for the convenience alone; however, using coupons, shopping the local specials offered by our markets seems to work for only two people. Plus, we realize our 'local' store(s) appreciate our patronage, even the larger chains. They recognize you, greet you. Walmart is not for us. One does not save that much, from what I've experienced, and they drive out the local merchants creating hardships. IMHO, Walmart is ONLY interested in the almighty buck.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I started keeping a price book and I've found, based on unit prices, that that penny difference between Wally and the other store works out to the same unit price when rounded off to the nearest whole cent. Unit price is what really matters because it determines what kind of value you're getting. That penny difference in the total price is mostly psychological, so you think you're getting a good deal, but in all actuality, you're paying the same price per unit as you would if you went to the store down the street and paid a penny more. And if you drove out of your way to save one cent off the total price at Wal-Mart, you just spent more than that penny on the gas it took to get you there.

I've also found, since I started keeping price book, that Wal-Mart, for the most part, was actually more expensive to shop at than the grocery store where I do my shopping. The difference in price on a head of lettuce between Wal-Mart and my store was 50 cents (my store was cheaper). And yes, Wal-Mart is cheaper than my regular store on some things, but on the majority, they are not. The difference in price on coffee alone pays for the gas for me to drive to my other store. I started comparing unit prices on things I buy between the two stores, because I wanted to see how I would come out if I started shopping at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is actually closer to where I live than the store I shop at. I discovered that, factoring in the cost of gas and distance, I still come out ahead shopping at my regular store. Plus my regular store is huge and has the biggest selection of items I've ever seen. If I can't find it there, then it probably doesn't exist.

I suspect that what Wal-Mart is doing is nothing more than good PR and drumming up more business and getting us to spend our money there. I don't know how long they could keep it up because I don't think even they have the power to keep vendors from passing the shipping and fuel costs onto them, and in turn, Wal-Mart passing it on to us. Lowering their prices doesn't help when the quality of some of their items is very poor.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote