Old 06-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Becky Morgan View Post
People preached the wonders of Sam's Club to me for so long I finally took up the free day offer because DH wanted to look for a radio he'd heard was cheaper. They wouldn't let me walk back into the store. I mean the security guard told me that DS, who was 13 or 14, and I couldn't look at the radios, but DH could. They wouldn't explain (and remember, I was the one carrying the coupon.) When I objected, the security guard and manager whispered off in the next aisle and came back to say DS could look, but I couldn't!

And then they had the nerve to send me a "why didn't you join?" invitation. Sure, I'll give you $35 for the privilege of buying stuff at only slightly higher than normal prices if I can find someone you'll let go in the store for me!
DH and I were wanting to have a look at Sam's to see if it would pay for us to get a membership there. We live in an apartment, and don't have a lot of storage space for big bulky items, but there are some things we could buy in bulk. We found that they won't let you in the store unless you buy a membership. Not wanting to spend the money on a membership without knowing if it would pay off for us, we turned around and left and decided never to go there again.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's odd, the time I went in to Sam's to look around, they let me. I think I just told them I was interested in a membership and wanted to see what they had.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

Maybe it depends on the particular Sam's Club.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yeah, it probably varies by store, or the employees just didn't care that day....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I wish I had faith in Walmart's ulterior motives. Unfortunately, having seen enough, the only thing this does is help to further pound the nails into the coffin of the mom and pop shops that were already struggling to compete.

Back in the days that I used to shop at the Sam's and Walmart stores, I was buying something at Sams. I went to walmart later and found that the exact same item was actually cheaper in walmart. how freakin' rude!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #16
knitasha
Turning the Heel

The article sounds as though it came straight from Walmart's public relations department.

They are temporarily lowering prices on hundreds of items this year. Which means the savings can last for a week and then disappear. What's the difference between that and putting items on sale temporarily? And what about the thousands of other items they sell? Are those prices by any chance creeping up?

And how are they achieving this great gift to mankind? By clipping a couple of pennies from their own profits? Heaven forbid. They are demanding that small vendors lower their prices by "making distribution more efficient." Of course the vendors are supposed to bear the costs of all the changes. Not much they can do about it either, since they need the Walmart business. Who else are they going to sell their goods to -- the smaller shops and chains that Walmart has driven out of business?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I don't buy much food at Wal-Mart at all and it helps that mine isn't a Super Center but yesterday Julianne & I were in there and she wanted milk. I din't pay attention to the price but when I got home and looked at my receipt I found that it cost much less than I expected or than the last time I bought milk. Nice surprise. I still don't feel right buying it there.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
Silver
Instepping Out

The great smoke and mirror trick of wal-mart continues...

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:58 AM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Wal-Mart is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #20
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
i actually found that i spend MORE at walmart on groceries than I do shopping locally.... and we're not talking just the gas (it takes 1/4 of a tank round trip to go to the super center.. they're talking about building one here but as soon as the target near us that they're building is done, we're DONE shopping at walmart). I have an Aldi's nearby, a Save - a- Lot and even those have just about the same prices as Hannaford and Price chopper... but all 4 are cheaper than the walmart super center....
LilHuskiesFootBallMom is offline   Reply With Quote