Old 05-31-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
fayola
Casting On

what about my hands
I am working on my first project (baby blanket) but didn't learn and now I feel very uncomfortable with wrapping the yarn around my finger when I am knitting. So it hangs loose and I just wrap it around depending on the stitch. Is this going to be a problem? Do I have to learn how to feel comfortable the other way?
fayola is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by fayola View Post
I am working on my first project (baby blanket) but didn't learn and now I feel very uncomfortable with wrapping the yarn around my finger when I am knitting. So it hangs loose and I just wrap it around depending on the stitch. Is this going to be a problem? Do I have to learn how to feel comfortable the other way?
Welcome to the forum!

The reason the yarn is wrapped around a finger is to give the yarn even tension when you're knitting. If the yarn is just hanging, then some of your stitches will be loose, and others will be tight.

Here is what my knitting looks like. I always wrap the yarn around my little finger:
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
As Sandy said, if you don't wrap it around, or learn how to hold tension between your ring finger and little finger, your knitting probably won't look right.

There may be other ways to keep tension correct, but I think those are the two most used.

(Sandy, your sweater [?] does look perfect!)

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (05-31-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

On the other side of the coin... I don't do anything but ' lightly grasp' the yarn in my right hand.. I do not wrap the yarn around any finger/etc. for tension.

AND, it's the way that I've done it since 1987... and I have no problems with my knitting. *I was taught by an Australian and I've been told that I do knit (hold the needles/etc) a little differently than most other Americans... but, all I know is that what I do does work for me. AND, my knitting is pretty fast.. not having to constantly adjust the tension. My tension is even and I do not knit too tight or too loosely... it's just right (I sound like the 3 bears story) :D

HOWEVER, I do agree that 'most people' will need to manage some sort of system to control the tension and my method won't work for most people...

But, it is possible to knit successfully without wrapping the yarn around a finger or fingers for tension.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
I have never found a way to hold the working yarn consistently with English knitting that works for me. I haven't had a huge problem with tension inconstency either-I also just hold it in my hand loosely. I found that I have a much, much easier time with tension and holding the working yarn, and also much faster knitting, with continental knitting. It was awkward and hard at first, but I stuck with it because it looked so FAST in the videos. Now I rarely use English at all.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I don't wrap it around a finger, but thread it through my fingers. It goes over the index, under the middle, over the ring finger and my little finger kind of curls around a little to grasp the end. I'm fairly fast that way too, and my hand doesn't totally leave the needle to wrap the yarn around the tip, my fingers just sort of flex out to flick it around. Try it different ways until you find one that gives you an even tension.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by iwouldratherbeknitting View Post
On the other side of the coin... I don't do anything but ' lightly grasp' the yarn in my right hand.. I do not wrap the yarn around any finger/etc. for tension.

AND, it's the way that I've done it since 1987... and I have no problems with my knitting. *I was taught by an Australian and I've been told that I do knit (hold the needles/etc) a little differently than most other Americans... but, all I know is that what I do does work for me. AND, my knitting is pretty fast.. not having to constantly adjust the tension. My tension is even and I do not knit too tight or too loosely... it's just right (I sound like the 3 bears story) :D

HOWEVER, I do agree that 'most people' will need to manage some sort of system to control the tension and my method won't work for most people...

But, it is possible to knit successfully without wrapping the yarn around a finger or fingers for tension.
I knit the same way and don't have any tension problems. I think that it IS a matter of what's the most comfortable and functional for you.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I let my yarn hang loose and my knitting is typically VERY even/consistant.
I did originally learn to wrap the yarn, at age 8, but then didn't knit until much later and the diagrams I saw of how to correctly hold the yarn didn't make sense and I couldn't get a consistant guage.

Find something that works for you and do it. If you're consistant, whatever you do works fine.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
heatherg23
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by fayola View Post
You can knit which ever style your comfortable with.
I actually wrap the yarn around my index finger twice when I knit. Like you mentioned in your post. I place it one time at the beginning of my finger (closest to your wrist) and one below the knuckle (towards your finger nail). It gives great tension. I just use my the side of my thumb to control the tension. When i'm wrapping the yarn around the needle, to do a stitch, I have to loosen the tension by moving my thumb towards me. just a hair.My thumb just skimms the side of the yarn on my index finger. When you want complete tension just press your thumb against your index finger. The yarn won't move. I won't have any slack to worry about.

I didn't do this until a few weeks after i started knitting. I had severe carpal tunnel, due to knitting so I had to find a way not to use my individual fingers. The way I knit I use my entire hand in the process instead of just 1 finger. No more carpal tunnel!

Good luck
Heather

Crochet Patterns and Videos
http://crochetpatterns09.blogspot.com/
heatherg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Debkcs View Post
(Sandy, your sweater [?] does look perfect!)
Thank you! Yes, it was my very first sweater, made with cheap cotton yarn.

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Try it different ways until you find one that gives you an even tension.
Exactly! Try different things while you're still learning. You'll find the technique that works for you, and your knitting will be better and easier from then on.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote