Old 05-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Run in with aggressive sales people
Ok so I need to vent because this really wound me up so I'm hoping that telling you guys about it will mean that I can let it go.

So, yesterday this guy turned up knocking on the door. We ignored it and he just left a leaflet for some kind of home improvements that we don't want. Today he turned up again and we ignored it again thinking he'd go away. My brother was in his room at the front of the house with his window open so this guy decides to shout up through the open window. My brother told him twice that we weren't interested and even went to check with my parents that they definitely weren't interested before shutting the window thinking that would be an end of it. As I came downstairs wondering what was going on my Mom was pretty wound up and decided to go and have a word with this guy who was still standing on the drive waving and shouting abuse. Before she'd even unlocked the door my dad was on his way to join her and told the guy in no uncertain terms exactly where to go. This only made the situation worse. I could hear them both shouting and see this guy making aggressive gestures towards my Dad. At this point I'm pretty worried because I have no idea what this guy is capable of, so I grabbed a pen and wrote down the number of his head office from the side of his van thinking maybe that might help, or at least give Dad someone else to shout at who wasn't close enough to lash out. So the guy then gets even more angry when he sees what I'm doing, apparently I shouldn't be writing numbers down without his permission. Finally the guy gets back in the van and shakes hands with my Dad but there was a moment when I was worried this guy might actually punch him or something.

We had a good look at the leaflet and Googled the company. We aren't even sure it is a real company. Its annoying because he's going to get away with it. The fact that he thought it was perfectly acceptable to shout through our windows when we didn't answer the door and that my brother had to shut his window so this guy would stop trying to bully him into buying something really had me annoyed. Then to hang around cursing and even calling my brother a liar when my mom confronted him about it...by the end of it I was shaking with rage. If he comes again I will simply call the police.

So that is the whole story anyway and now perhaps I can calm down about it. People like that just get me so annoyed!

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
you were right to write the # down. next time I'd also write the license plate #. and just call the police. Confrontations can sometimes end up bad.

Try to relax, deep breaths.. and knit.. let it go.

Big Bear hugs
The Following User Says Thank You to snowbear For This Useful Post:
rachejm (05-31-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I would call the police. I can't help but think that person had bad intentions.

So sorry...scary indeed!!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
rachejm (05-31-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

If you can't find the company by googling and can't get an answer by phone, DEFINITELY call the police! Let them know this person was verbally abusive and you now wonder if the company even exists. This guy could be casing the area, and even if not, as aggressive as he was with your folks I would hate to see how he would act around an elderly soul who lives alone and is too frail to MAKE him leave.

Call--the poice would rather be alerted to a possible problem than in be in the dark.
rachejm (05-31-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

I would agree with the previous posts - call the police. Maybe you can alert them to a situation that may save someone else from going through the bad experience you did. I am sorry you and your family went through that.

We get quite a few door to door people here - some of whom are polite and pleasant and some are real pieces of work. We've had tree people come and tell us the trees are dying in our back yard so we need them to cut them down that day (if they know that, they are trespassing and I told them that is not legal - that got rid of them) and we've had nice people like a poor lady who was selling vacuums door to door (I have plenty of those) but it was like 95 degrees that day so I gave her a cold bottle of water and told her to rest on our front porch for a spell. Frankly, I wish people wouldn't come to our door and we've posted a No Solicitation sign that does mostly no good or so it seems. I do respect the fact that some people choose to do this for money and so I try to be nice, but your experience was way out of line. Don't ever be afraid to call someone on such rude behavior by involving the police.

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Fun For This Useful Post:
rachejm (06-01-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

I agree with the others--call the cops NOW. You don't know who he';s going to bully or abuse, what he's high on or what he's really planning!
rachejm (06-01-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
1knittychick
Knitting the Flap

I'm glad you wrote down the number. Call the police and file a report.
rachejm (06-01-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I agree with the others, call the police. There have been numerous news stories over the years of scam artists who go door to door signing people up for home repairs and improvements. They take a down payment of as much as they can get and then disappear.
rachejm (06-01-2008)
Old 06-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
kateycp2k
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to kateycp2k Send a message via Yahoo to kateycp2k
Not only should you call the police, you should contact your local news media (print/television/radio) and alert them to this scam. Many television stations here in the United States have some sort of consumer alert/consumer advocacy reporter, and that kind of exposure can stop this scammer dead in his tracks.
kateycp2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kateycp2k For This Useful Post:
rachejm (06-01-2008)
Old 06-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #10
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll talk to my parents about it.

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote