Old 05-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Pat in Ca

I'm a baby boomer, and I get this...
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art..._about_me.html

I was born in 1950..a baby boomer.. and unfortunately I see a lot of truth in this viewpoint..

This is NOT meant to offend.. I am a baby boomer!!!! so in a way, I am criticizing myself!!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
feministmama
Instepping Out

harsh
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
evona
Working the Gusset

hmm - I'm a Gen Xer and I get it too. I agree with a lot of what the author states, but then again the article is kind of cynical and my generation is supposed to be one of the most cynical so I guess it fits. I believe whole heartedly in environmental concerns and worry about he world I will leave for my children - the Gen Yers. I don't believe oil can sustain us much longer so I see the argument to drill drill drill as futile and self destructive in the long run (more Gen X cynicism ) I concede that for the time being we must still heavily depend on oil because, as you know, I believe that many of our current "alternative energy" ideas are not viable. I guess I am also an optimist though, because I have hope that we will develop a better plan. I think that we have developed plans and created remarkable things in relatively short periods of time before and now we do much more hand wringing than anything. however, I know that much of the speedy development that came from generations before me created devastation to many environments so I suggest some balance between the hand wringing and conscientious action. You see, the reason us Gen Xers are so cynical and cautious about the environment, etc is because we lived with the consequences of the hasty choices of a previous generation's post war boom.

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Yep, pretty much true.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Hmmmm, interesting article . But I don't agree that it's a "baby boomer" problem. As a baby boomer myself I would go so far as to say most of those issues have "become" issues as the Gen X'ers come of age. No offense intended to the younguns but my generation grew up with the gas rationing of the 70's, I've always been careful about conserving energy. If you watch the news, it's the younger families (who can least afford it) who are being roped into the mortgages they cannot afford by lenders pushing products that simply make no sense. It isn't people my age (50's & 60's) who are suffering through foreclosure (for the most part) it's the younger families.

If you watch the news reports the Gen X'ers are the coroporate executives who are pushing the products and selling the homes and creating the "me want it now" mentality that seems to pervade our society.

I don't see Gen Xer's as cautious at all but to me it seems they have grown up in a disposable world and don't even begin to comprehend the impact that lifestyle choices have on the environment. WHo, after all, are the drivers of the Hummers and the gas guzzling SUV's? Very seldom do I see a gray haired driver behind the wheel.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
evona
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post
Hmmmm, interesting article . But I don't agree that it's a "baby boomer" problem. As a baby boomer myself I would go so far as to say most of those issues have "become" issues as the Gen X'ers come of age. No offense intended to the younguns but my generation grew up with the gas rationing of the 70's, I've always been careful about conserving energy. If you watch the news, it's the younger families (who can least afford it) who are being roped into the mortgages they cannot afford by lenders pushing products that simply make no sense. It isn't people my age (50's & 60's) who are suffering through foreclosure (for the most part) it's the younger families.

If you watch the news reports the Gen X'ers are the coroporate executives who are pushing the products and selling the homes and creating the "me want it now" mentality that seems to pervade our society.

I don't see Gen Xer's as cautious at all but to me it seems they have grown up in a disposable world and don't even begin to comprehend the impact that lifestyle choices have on the environment. WHo, after all, are the drivers of the Hummers and the gas guzzling SUV's? Very seldom do I see a gray haired driver behind the wheel.
Well - I agree that some people of my generation haven't given a rats ***; however, its possible that my exposure to the area where I work might give me a skewed opinion about who is driving most of the SUVs. I work in Brentwood - in Los Angeles. Many doctors and lawyers and such of the baby boomer generation (and the Gen X). however, I see many many many boomers on a daily basis in Hummers, BMW and Mercedes SUV's, Cadillacs and the like. Hell, my own boss (born in 1946 so one of the first boomers) drives one. he waxes nostalgic about the good ol days of the 60s and we've had many discussions about the problems of today, but quite often his response is "Sorry for your kids, but I'm glad I won't be around.". It always bugs me when he says that.

However, I also see a bunch of Gen Xers in Mazzarattis and Jaguars though. And don't even get me started on the Gen Y kids we have here who drop thousands of their baby boomer parents dollars at the local boutiques where a cotton t-shirt costs $200 (or more). Oi Vai!

Maybe I'm just cynical period Baby Boomer, Gen Xer,Gen Y - I think we all have problems and I think its come time to face them lest everything be gone for the next generation. Sad but true. I point the finger of blame on no one individual or group. I think we are all on the same boat called earth so what's the point. Lets just fix things!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to evona For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (06-06-2008)
Old 05-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
evona
Working the Gusset

BTW - the baby boomer generation is described as children born between 1946 to 1964. That means the youngest of this generation are only 44. The gray haired people I know are actually mostly from the generation previous to the boomers, but perhaps that's just because as I get older the bar of what I consider "old age" tends to get higher

Old 05-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by evona View Post
Maybe I'm just cynical period Baby Boomer, Gen Xer,Gen Y - I think we all have problems and I think its come time to face them lest everything be gone for the next generation. Sad but true. I point the finger of blame on no one individual or group. I think we are all on the same boat called earth so what's the point. Lets just fix things!!!
Exactly. I liked the article, not because it pointed a finger at any one group but because it said what people don't want to hear.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
iza
Turning the Heel

It's interesting. I'm not sure what I think of it, but it has some points. I'm not sure it's entirely a generational problem. It's more a mentality, and it can be shared by many generations.

My mom (a baby-boomer) will say things like "your generation (X) wants everything right away", but what is strange is that she had a lot more at my age than I could ever dream of. I think she still thinks I'm 16 (I'm 32).
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
evona
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by iza View Post
My mom (a baby-boomer) will say things like "your generation (X) wants everything right away", but what is strange is that she had a lot more at my age than I could ever dream of. I think she still thinks I'm 16 (I'm 32).
My mom too!! I wonder if I will be like that?