Old 06-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Doggie troubles
I have had to abandon knitting to babysit the doggies...we got a new dog about a year ago and all has been well. Then a few weeks ago the younger one (1.5yrs old) started going crazy and attacking the older dog (13yrs old) for walking past her while she had a toy. I thought we were making progress and then this weekend was shear HELL. She is posturing at him whenever she sees him in the house. I have picked up all the toys and she is crated while I'm not home, but without toys its as if she just stalks him. If we are outside running around or walking they are fine and if I make her sit and stay and then feed them all is well. Any suggestions on what wire came loose in her brain and how to fix it?
Both dogs are indoor dogs and fixed. The younger one goes to the dog park and interacts with other people and dogs without any signs of aggression. She is not food or toy defensive with me - I make sure I can take anything away from either dog at anytime and not get snarled at.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
hi

funnily enough my dogs have just started this and they've been together since puppies, there now 6.

sounds like posession thing, my dog does that badly to other dogs but not me ever. my 5 year old son can take anything of her.
i know there are a few things i tried with my girly to see if it would help her, my heads not working right now to know what they are. i'll have a think and let you know

susi

you could have a chat with a doggy behaviourist and see what they surgest.
susi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
The Dog Whisperer () would probably have you or your dh walk the younger dog past the older one who you make lie on the floor with a toy. When the younger dog does the snarl, you correct the dog immediately by being assertive. Keep walking past until the behavior stops. You can even try rewarding the younger one with a small treat when the snarling stops each time.

The thing is that by avoiding the situation by removing the toys, you're not really solving anything. You have to reestablish yourself as head of the house and that certain rules exist.

I love the Dog Whisperer. His thinking is logical. I've been using some of his philosophy on my dogs, and I have seen a difference.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
This is a great book book on resource guarding in dogs:

http://www.amazon.com/Mine-Practical...2458342&sr=8-1
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
I've been dealing with this with our first dog, girl, and our second, boy. We're still working on it but I'm as happy as a clam I called BarkBusters!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
Firey Vixxen
1st Leg of the Journey

It sounds as though your younger dog is attempting to move up the pack, and your older dog may not be well/strong enough to enforce his position (which is fair enough at 13, he's an old man.)
I would return the toys (While supervising) and if (When) the younger dog snarls at the older dog "snarl" back immediatly and then remove the toy for 5 mins.
The idea behind this is the younger dog knows you are Pack Leader, the toys belong to you, YOU say who can play with them, and displays of agression WILL NOT BE TOLLERATED TO ANYONE.
When the dogs are playing happily, even if on oppersite sides of the room, Praise the younger dog and then the older dog, so they both know what is acceptible behaviour and neither of them becomes jealose.
If you use treats, call both dogs, and when they are both there and sitting quietly, then offer the treats at the same time (Good thing you only have two dogs or you'd need an extra hand ), again, to not inspire jealosy or dominance issues (Dominant dogs eat first). also put their food bowls down at the same time, unless food posession becomes an issue. Be as equal as possible until things settle down into the new pack order. then you can reinforce the pack order in marterial ways and (hopefully) not have to adjust your behaviour emotionally.
Good Luck,
FV
Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

That's for the suggestions. I know pulling the toys up was a band-aid, but the dogs puncture wounds, my burst blood vessel, and frazzelled nerves were in need of a band-aid.
Luckily we were able to dog to a our dog trainer, who is also a certified dog behaviorist, Monday night. The first thing we had to do was ban everyone from our bedroom (this is killing me) and then we have to work on leashing them in the same room, giving them toys, and treats for not reacting to each other.
The big problem is that the younger one doesn't snarl or warn you she is going to attack other than stiffening her tail and the older one likes to growl at her when she gets to close. His sight is going so he growls at most anyone and anything that gets to close. We're working on it and we have to go one month without a fight and then we can start letting them off the leashes in the house and gradually return bedroom privlages.
The wonderful thing is that they are find playing outside and walking together and will even eat in the same room. If we could just avoid them passing in the hallway....
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
could your younger dog be jelous of the older one, prehpas she feeld your older 1 is getting more attention and is trying to punish the older (my dog does this all the time, even though she has my full attention m¨ost of the time).

what breed is she, it could be linked to her breed

also what about a bitter apple spray or soemthing like thatso when she does it spray her in her mouth (if you can get it there) then she will represent biting witha nasty taste (worked on my mums airedale who used to attack people)

i wouldnt take toys away she'll simply get more frustrated.

as silly as it sounds does she get enough excersise? i know if my collie went on just a leash walk everytilme she'd go sirt crazy. she has about 15 acres to play in.

the other thing that springs to mind is is she spayed? my bitch gets really grotty when shes coming into and in season. shes vial tbh.

i have been wracking my brain with what i've been told and read but i cant think of the stuff that was important.

i know with mums airedale we also used a hose pipe outside that i attached a presure attachment so it stang a bit (not hurt though) so he represented naughty behaviour with soemthing bad.

also there are collars that can give her an electric shock (as nasty as it sounds, but if it stops your dog getting hurt they are worth looking inot). i've never sued them but have heard of people taht say they are brilliant. literally when she does it you click on a controll pannel and it gives her a mild shock. enough to make her yelp and stop what shes doing and think.

as someone that has been bitten this week alli can say is ouch to your leg. they dont always mean it you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

good luck

susi
susi is offline   Reply With Quote