Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

visiting non-pet owners with your dog
I understand that your pet is a member of the family. But I choose not to have any pets. (Please don't hate me.)

Do you take your dog to the homes of family or friends who don't have pets? Do you ask permission or just expect them to welcome your pet just like they welcome you?

My brother may be getting a dog. He asked if their 'new baby' would be welcome when we have get-togethers here. Dh & I are not overly comfortable with the idea, outside would be fine.

I'd really like to hear other's opinions on this.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
mwhite
Instepping Out

I would never assume that I could bring ANY of my pets with me to visit someone unless they specifically requested it. Although I love them all, I respect others with or without pets.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
iza
Turning the Heel

I don't have a pet for now, but we love dogs and we will undoubtedly have one in the near future. Maybe cats too. But no, I would not expect my pets to be welcomed everywhere I go. Having pets come with little annoyances like that, and it's something we have to live with, in my opinion.

But I think some pet owners see their pets as their children, so it would be like telling parents not to bring their children with them when they visit your house. Or to leave them outside while they visit. So, some pet owners could feel insulted by your request, but I don't know how common it would be. Nevertheless, it's your house, and I don't think you have to justify yourself...
The Following User Says Thank You to iza For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Mike
Working the Gusset

It depends on the size, the disposition and fur type.
A small, non-shedding dog that will handle sitting in a lap and be well behaved, I don't see a problem with it.

Also it depends on the setting. Indoors or outdoors. If outdoors is the pet owner willing to take care of the waste in a manner suitable with the homeowners or are the homeowners willing to deal with it?

I used to take my separation anxiety ridden lap dog to many places. She had poodle in her so she didn't shed, would spend the whole time on my lap and she was very well behaved as long as she was not left home alone.
I more like informed with her. If she wasn't coming neither was I because I didn't feel like dealing with a trashed house when I got home.

I had customers that would have purse dogs when I worked retail. There was never any issue with them.

I wouldn't think of taking my Springer anywhere but outdoors. He's well behaved but he sheds and is huge. Also as far as I'm willing to go to clean up waste is to blast it with a hose (and his waste is also huge). I knew that wasn't good enough for my brother-in-law so I declined when they said it was OK. When he was young I did take him around to socialize him but it was only outdoors and for short periods.
My niece does bring her pocket dog over to my sister's. He's not well behaved but he doesn't shed and at about 4lbs his impact is minimal.

One uninvited pet instance was after a carnival some "friends" stopped by with their pet snake and she informed me that I may want to lock my dogs back up (by that time I discovered kenneling) where they had been locked up the whole day because the snake might eat them.
I informed her that he snake can stay in it's bag or get shot if it makes a move against any resident of this house.
I like snakes but I don't like people thinking others should rearrange their life to suit the uninvited guest (I also wasn't too happy these "friends" stopped by).

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I take my dog to my mom's if I'm spending the night but she's fine with it and she would tell me if she wasn't. I follow her rules about letting the dog on the furniture and sticking her in her crate if we leave the house because, even though my dog is six and has been housebroken for along time, it's not my house. It's a matter of being respectful.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cynamar For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
I only take my dog where I know that she'll be accepted and even then I keep an eye on her. I wouldn't just bring her to anyones house.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I have dogs and they go a lot of places with us, but we always ask first. We always take a crate and plenty of toys and tie downs if there is not a fenced in yard. We are careful to clean up any poops that happen in the yard and take lots of walks.
I've had people bring their dogs to my house before I had dogs and it never really bothered me as long as the dog was controlled.
If you're not comfortable with your brother bringing his dog then just tell him so. Some people are just not dog people. Personnaly for me they are part of the family and will never be boarded.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
I'm a bit annoyed about a similar incident. I went to a wedding yesterday and my sis had a BBQ at home in the house. I got up this morning to find that something had dug up some of my plants and pooed in the back yard. I was blaming my cat until my sis mentioned that her friend's pet dog had done it. Hello, why did you let it dig up my plants, I don't mind it coming over, and it's easy enough to clean up the poo - but I spent ages growing those plants from seed...

Last edited by Lucy78green : 06-03-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Lucy78green is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy78green For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
I think, it's your house you get to make the call about whethter people bring their pets and whether they're outside only or allowed inside. I don't have any pets now, but when i had dogs and someone was having a BBQ or outdoor party of some kind, I'd always ask. I think it'd be very rude to just show up with an animal, especially one that wasn't well behaved.

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eccie For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I love my dog, but I would not bring her anywhere unless she were invited.

I am assuming that your brother knows you don't have pets because of the way you feel. Perhaps he's just talking about bringing the dog to meet you. In that case, offer to go to his house when they get the dog instead of them bringing him/her to your house. Brother or not, he shouldn't insist on being able to bring his dog when he comes to your house. It's YOUR house. You make the rules.

You know, we don't have kids and our friends who do don't bring the kids over unless they're specifically invited. Our house is sort of a "kid-free" zone for them to come and relax. It's not that they couldn't bring the kids, or that we've told them not to bring them with them every time they come, but they won't force them on us. Just the way that we wouldn't force our dog on them. Mutual respect.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine's Mom For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (06-03-2008)