Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
selinechan
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to selinechan
how to knit edge of this neck opening?
This neck opening being this:
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/valpuri/valpuri.html

So I've knitted the front piece and I've arrived at the point where I'm supposed to divide the piece for the front slit. Question now is...what do I do in place of the 'skip 1 st, k the next st, k skipped st' ? If you look at the pattern, I'm supposed to divide right in the middle of it. So do I just knit one at each end?
selinechan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I'm not sure I understand your confusion - the pattern states:

Divide for Neck Opening: Dec Row (RS): K1, SSK, work to center point marked on chart, join another ball of yarn and work to last 3 sts, k2 tog, k1 – 40(44-47-48-50) sts each side.

Maybe you don't understand SSK? It's slip the next 2 sts individually, then knit them together. Or you can use slip 1, knit 1, pass the slipped st over. That makes a decrease that leans left; the k2tog inc on the other end of the row leans right.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
selinechan
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to selinechan
Um...if you refer to the chart, I'm supposed to divide in between the 'skip 1 st, k the next st, k skipped st', right? That requires two stitches and the result is a nice cable-y pattern. But now that I have to divide those two stitches in two, one for each half of the front opening, will there still be a nice cable-y pattern? Because that's what I think I see in the picture Do correct me if I'm wrong.
selinechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Ahh, I see. I think when you divide, you just knit the 2 sts, one on each side of the slit, instead of making the mini-cable. If you look at the neckline, there's no twist stitch on the edge. That makes the most sense to me. You can't continue the twist after the neck is split, unless you want to incorporate the purl st next to that edge st.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
selinechan (06-04-2008)
Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I agree with Suzeeq. They should probably make it a little clearer in the directions but the mini cable is dropped. Those stitches on each side of the mini cable were purls on the public side of the piece, so I would keep all the center stitches purl on the outside and just divide it right in the middle where you use to do the cable.

That is an easy way to make a vee neck, they just let the neck opening shape on its own by just working both sides separately after that point. Cute sweater.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
selinechan (06-04-2008)