Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

am i the only one who doesnt like wooden needles?
I have only tried bamboo needles a couple of times, but just didn't like them. I found them difficult to use and that my knitting was overly tight on them. It also felt like the yarn was snagging or that there was friction between the yarn and needles.

Is it just me? I hear so many of you raving about them, or recomending wooden needles but, I just can't share your enthusiasm!

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Well, I doubt that all bamboo needles are created equal. I know they aren't. I got a super cheat pair at Wal-Mart that were terrible (they were circulars and it was mostly where the bamboo joined the cord that the problem was). My DH even made me some out of bamboo chopstitcks. They were actually pretty good, have very sharp points, but he had issues with the bamboo wanting to get splitty at tips and catch on things. Some were better than others. I suppose the same would be true of wooden needles too.

But everybody has different tastes in needles and even different ones for different yarns and types of knitting. I think some people like the bamboo because of the friction between yarn and needle that you mentioned. I don't suppose that makes everyone knit too tightly. Snagging I don't think anyone would be enamored with.

I can take bamboo needles or leave them, the ones we have are a little blunt for my taste, but they are my husband's favorite needles. So, to each his own.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Wood needles are fine for some yarns, not so good with others. I have a few and just use them as I would the metal ones. They're just another needle to me, neither better nor worse than the others.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
I don't like wooden needles at all. I haven't tried the Harmony needles though, and they might be an exception. I also haven't tried Lantern Moon needles, but I would like to. I've used bamboo, and the yarn just doesn't slide easily enough for me. Plus, and I know this will sound weird, they make my teeth hurt. It's the same sensation you get when you bite on foil...I think of or feel the wooden needles and my teeth hurt. I know. That's strange.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Ronda View Post
I don't like wooden needles at all. I haven't tried the Harmony needles though, and they might be an exception. I also haven't tried Lantern Moon needles, but I would like to. I've used bamboo, and the yarn just doesn't slide easily enough for me. Plus, and I know this will sound weird, they make my teeth hurt. It's the same sensation you get when you bite on foil...I think of or feel the wooden needles and my teeth hurt. I know. That's strange.
you know i get that feeling too. i just didnt know how to describe it!

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
Originally Posted by tarrentella View Post
you know i get that feeling too. i just didnt know how to describe it!
I'm not the only one!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
MMario
Turning the Heel

so far I haven't met a wooden needle I liked. This could change.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

I have to agree that all wooden needles are not alike; some are certainly better quality than others. I've used the Takumi brand bamboo and was happy with them, but I can't compare because I haven't use anything else. And since I bought my KP Options I use those for almost everything.

I also have to agree that bamboo needles are better with some types of yarn than others. If you're knitting with a thick wool, I think bamboo could be problematic; but if you're using a yarn that's slippery and fine, bamboo might be a better choice than nickel-plated needles. I know that the bamboo needles tend to be more blunt than metal needles (especially Options), so that's another factor to consider.

I was thrilled to have my bamboo circs, though, when I flew from California to Dallas-Ft. Worth last December! I was able to take them in my carry-on (with the knitting in progress) and no one said a word or even seemed to notice. I'm pretty sure metal needles would have been a problem in going through airport security. So, there's a time and place for everything.

However -- if you absolutely can't stand to use bamboo or wooden needles, that's fine! Don't worry about it, just use what you enjoy. After all, knitting's supposed to be fun!

cristina61 on

** My poor neglected blog is here

RIP Gabby (9/12/2009) -- I miss you SO much. We'll never forget what a sweet girl you were!

cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Indygirl

Here's my take on this subject. I have tried a lot of different wood needles. I used dp wood needles when decreasing a hat. I tried circular wood needles. I felt the same way you all do. Now for the good news! The Harmony wood from Knit Picks is a very different story. I have the set of Harmony sock dp wood needles, I have the Harmony wood interchangeable set as well. I also have some of the harmony wood circular 24 in' for doing socks on two circular.I LOVE THEM! They feel just like the nickel plated. The yarn moves so smooth and nice on these needles. They are wonderful to work with.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
Maybe someday I'll try the Harmony ones. So far I haven't liked wood needles at all. I love the Options though!
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote