Old 06-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Shady KP?
I just heard from a fellow knitter that KP may be ...stealing ideas?

Has anyone heard anything about this?

What exactly I heard was that the Harmony design was actually first devised by a small town man somewhere in the US, and that he didn't want to devulge the laminate process...

and

that the new sock blocks are really a rip off of another designers idea.

Of course...I would hate to believe this of my favorite online knitting store...but I am wondering...has anyone else heard this?

I also heard that in certain circles...KP is being refered to as the "Walmart of the knitting world"

Regardless...this will not change my opinion of the products....I was just curious!!!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
MMario
Turning the Heel

Sounds like sour grapes to me. There is nothing patentable or even tradmarkable about the sock blanks. And laminating wood has been around for ages
Old 06-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I love them. They have to come up with worse than that for me. I want good fibers and can't afford a lot of other places.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

I agree-sour grapes-KP is doing well for a reason-great prices, great selection, and great service. And laminating wood is a procedure, not an individualized "patent-able" idea. Same for sock blocks-there are *lots* of different sock blocking tools on the market (at least I would think so, I've never actually shopped for any, lol). How can someone claim that only they have the right to produce and sell them?

Too bad people are saying these things! I have to admit, hearing something at one of my (not so) LYS~I was searching for teeny long circs to make my first pair of 2@a time socks using magic loop, and one of the sales people (not the owner at least) started commenting how another customer brought in her new Harmony needles, and how she was SOOO excited and in love with them. Then she proceeded to rag on them, that they weren't all that great, she didn't like them at all, what's the fuss, yada-yada-yada. All the while she didn't realize that I had a set at home of my own that *I* also think are GREAT. LOL~ I just blew it off, but wouldn't her face be red if she knew?!

Anyway, I do think since KP has gained such a loyal customer base and prices are so low, its not surprising that other sellers might start grumbling . Oh well. I'm still going to shop there
Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

I have to say that I LOVE KP ...their products and customer service are top-notch and I doubt they'd do anything to jeopardize such a wonderful fan base and business. It is SO rare to get good customer service that I will follow a company really far for it and I think their integrity is pretty high.

Sure, I can see why they are called the Wal-Mart of the knitting world since their prices are so much less for good quality yarn and supplies and their sales are great too. I don't think that should be a derogatory term at all...affordable is a good thing! I'd rather go with them than a boutique with over-priced stuff that doesn't work well or stand up to use and time anyday.

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Oh...for the record...I love KP too! I think the service to Canada is awesome...I don't think they are slamming anyone for shipping....it comes exactly when they say it is coming....
Oh I can go on forever! They do say that they search the world for the best prices...and really...quite frankly....GOOD!

Sour grapes does sound like a very likely canidate. I couldn't believe what I was hearing from my friend today...I hadn't even heard a whisper of these things before...

And I have to agree with Jaxhil....it is also probably the bane of every LYS that ppl love their harmonies! I wouldn't doubt that the stories are even just fabrications!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

How do you know that customer service is awesome if you don't have to use it? I just think it's so funny that people go on and on about how GREAT their replacement parts are and how fast they came. I want needles that don't break and need replacement parts. I don't want to deal with customer service- EVER. I totally see the Wal-Mart aspect. Do a little googling and you'll find PLENTY of unhappy customers that agree that their products are not all they are cracked up to be.

I know, I'm probably going to bashed right and left for not jumping on the KP is the bestest bandwagon, but I got so frustrated and I think people should know that the product is not great. Three words of advice if using KP product- USE A LIFELINE!

Kelly
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Quote:
I know, I'm probably going to bashed right and left for not jumping on the KP is the bestest bandwagon,
I certainly hope no one would bash you for stating an honest opinion!

I have to say, I love KP and have thoroughly enjoyed using their products.

I can't say anything to the comments from the original post, because I don't know and don't want to comment in case it's just a rumor.

But I strongly believe that everyone should be allowed her own opinion, and be able to express it politely without getting bashed!!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Customer service can be accessed for any number of reasons and not just complaints or requests for replacement parts. They can answer questions about products, recommend products if they are knowledgeable about them, take orders if you don't feel comfortable giving out information through a website, etc. As a matter of fact, if you want to blow the mind of a customer service rep...call them just to tell them that you love the company's products or that you want to praise a particular employee who was helpful or something positive...they get so little of that in any company that it makes their day.

I try to go out of my way to let people know how much I appreciate when things are done right or if there is a mistake (which happens in any company), if they are willing to make it right, that retains my loyalty.

I'm sure there are good and bad things with KP like with any company...it just depends on your experience and how it was handled.

Everyone's opinion is just as valid.

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Fun For This Useful Post:
Tutu Carol (06-05-2008)
Old 06-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
Tutu Carol
1st Leg of the Journey

I am on disability. I think you all know what that means, for those of you who do not: I live on $648 per month, yes it is true. I am not complaining, just explaining.

I used only the cheapest acrylics that I could find. (which really, really limits the knitting possibilities). A dear knittin' friend of mine told me about KP.

I can purchase high quality wool for the SAME price as the cheapest acrylics on earth. Oh, my oh my, I am a very happy knitter. (as well, many of my pals that have spare, yup, they give me their spare yarn )

SO, for my opinion. Gossip like that can ruin a good company, let us not go to negative "press" w/o facts. I am 100% behind KP & they won't loose one cent of my business.

Thank you.
Carol