Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Charts--ick!
Okay, I've avoided charts up to now, even though I've read several tutorials on how to read them. I figured that one day it would be something good to learn, and that I'd enjoy them as much as other people do.

I just finished my first charted project. It was a little frustrating to get started, but flowed okay once I did figure it out. But now, I'm doing a cable chart with four different cable patterns...oh my!!! It takes me forever, because the symbols are so much the same to my mind, and i have to stop, read the legend to figure out which one I'm doing, then find my place on the chart again...oh my! this is just not fun at all.

I'm off to write out the pattern so I can make it flow better!!! I can't take 7 more repeats of this!!!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Some people love charts- but I am with you. I have only worked one charted pattern and it was easy, but I still wrote the whole thing out first. I just cannot get my head around it.
Just write it out and get on with it. Don't feel bad about not liking charts.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Have you tried color coding? I've heard, but haven't tried it yet, that it makes reading charts easier. I've been knitting for 10ish years and have avoided charts up until now. I guess I better get over my fear of charts soon as I just ordered the Great American Aran Afghan pattern

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

It's funny, I read charts all the time for cross-stitch and thought I would LOVE charts for knitting, but I just can't seem to wrap my brain around them.
vaknitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I can understand charts, but I can't follow along while I'm knitting. I think it's because I've knit for years and years from text patterns which go left to right, that my brain can't switch over to reading right to left.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I can understand charts, but I can't follow along while I'm knitting. I think it's because I've knit for years and years from text patterns which go left to right, that my brain can't switch over to reading right to left.
Well, I'm glad I'm in such illustrious company!

I finished my "cheating" pattern! It was SO much easier after typing it out in regular K2, P1, C4B style!!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
It might also help you to make a photocopy of the chart, but magnified. That helps me when I get lost in a chart that is too small. Just a thought ....

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I was going to suggest highlighting the different stitches different colors. I've never actually done this because I can usually figure out, after the first couple of pattern repeats, which stitch is supposed to come next, but it might help.

Anyhow, it looks like you did what you wanted to do, but maybe for next time...

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
becjo
Knitting the Flap

I too am a cross stitcher & dont think anything of those charts but I'm not a fan of the Knitting charts! if it were up to me to write it, I'd write it like the pattern goes - not going by the right/wrong side....
I personally would just write out the pattern but I do like the ideas of color coding - but then you still have to look back at a legend to see what each color stands for....
Its funny how different things work for different people! keeps it interesting!

http://www.rebecca-belle.blogspot.com

Come visit me at Ravelry! - my name is becjo
http://www.ravelry.com/people/becjo
becjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
cookworm
Working the Gusset

I'm so relieved to see that others don't like knitting charts either--I thought I was the only one! I think it's the fact that you have to stop and look at each individual box to see what comes next, and it doesn't make things faster or easier for me, it only slows things up. I've only tried looking at a couple of cable charts and I'm totally confused. When I look at crochet charts, it makes much more sense to me and the charts actually help me through text portions of patterns that may be unclear, but I think that's because with crochet patterns, each stitch is represented by a little drawing rather than like knitting, the little box with stuff inside of it. Even when I look at knitting charts, I'm not seeing the pattern in it, but when I look at crochet charts, I can see the pattern from the chart. It's very weird. I wish I could get my head around knitting charts too; I think life would be easier for me.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote