Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
VioletFae
Casting On

knitting questions for beginner
Hi everyone,
I am new here and new to knitting! I am having a baby in October and this has inspired me to learn to knit. Is knitting the same as crocheting? I have watched a few of the videos and they are very helpful. I am wanting to make some infant hats, and my question is where do i start? I am trying to find a pattern that I may actually be able to do using the basic cast on, knit, and purl. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would truly appreciate it. I have found this website with a lot of patterns. Can anyone tell me if any of these may be easy for me? BTW, I am having a boy!! I am hoping to eventually be able to do this little hat for him! Thanks so much for your time!
VioletFae is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Crocheting uses one needle with a hook on the end, knitting uses two needles that are pointed. They both use yarn which you wrap around the tips of the needles, but that's about as much as they're similar. There are some baby patterns here on the pattern page, and lots at knittingpatterncentral.com.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

Knitting is not the same as crocheting. Knitting uses two (or more) needles, while crocheting uses a single hook.

To start, I would simply knit away, without worrying about making anything. Just knit for a certain length until you're comfortable with it, then just purl until you're comfortable with that. After a while you can start knitting and purling along a row, until you're comfortable with that.

Of course, some people will immediately take a pattern and go with it from the beginning. There's nothing wrong with that, except there's a higher probability of it not turning out right. My cousin decided to go this route and was discouraged that it didn't turn out "perfectly". I tried to tell her that even now I don't do it perfectly, but she doesn't want to try again.

I (just) looked at the hat pattern you want to do, and want to point out that it is a crochet pattern, not a knit pattern.

So for crochet, you just practice your sc, hdc, dc until you know what you're doing (and where to do it!). The hat is all (that I saw) hdc, so other than the technicalities of it, once you know your sts, you can at least give it a go!

sc = single crochet; hdc = half-double crochet; dc = double crochet

What I have most trouble with in crocheting is turning at the ends of the rows. I'm sure if I did more of it I could solve that, but I prefer knitting. Mine would alternate between growing and shrinking in width. Made for a very interesting blanket LOL

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
VioletFae
Casting On

Hehe thank you so much for explaining the differences.. Now I'm not sure which to start with! They both seem fun to do.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
LadyB
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting and crochet are not the same. Crochet uses one hook to form the stitches, and you usually only have two live stitches at a time. Knitting uses two needles and usually has many live stitches at a time.

The videos on this site have taught many people how to knit, so I would recommend starting with them. Also if you have a local yarn store you could go to, I would recommend that you do so; they will have lots of information and can help you if you have problems.

This looks like a very easy pattern. And Knitting Pattern Central has a ton of baby hat patterns.

The hat that you are hoping to eventually do is crocheted. If you need to learn to crochet, I found some online instructions here, here, here, and here.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
cam90066
Working the Gusset

FYI....many knitters also know crochet as there are knitting patterns that incorporate some crochet. I don't believe that's necessarily the case in reverse (meaning crochet patts don't call for the addition of knitting). I would behoove you to probably learn the basics of both and see which you prefer and knowing you have the option to do either one.

cam
Old 06-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
VioletFae
Casting On

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the links and info. I'm so excited to get practicing!

You were right, Knitting Pattern Central has TONS of baby hat patterns.. I did find a few I would love to start with.. which would you recommend out of these?

Pumpkin Hat

Baby Bear

and i absolutely LOVE this but I'm guessing it's probably a bit more difficult?

So my next question is, when i go to the craft store what size needles should i pick up just to practice? Or should I have a project in mind beforehand?

Again, thanks so much!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Quote:
So my next question is, when i go to the craft store what size needles should i pick up just to practice? Or should I have a project in mind beforehand?
If you have a specific project in mind then best to get the ndls and yarn (weight) recommended. Most new knitters do well to practice on sz 8-10 with a worsted weight (in a light color). But if the patt calls for a diff ndl sz and weight of yarn, then you have to decide if you want to purchase yarn/ndls for practice AND those that'll be used on the project. (If you're lucky, they might be the same.)

ETA: I looked at the Berroco patt and you'd need 2 diff straight ndl szs, AND dpns (you'll have to decide if you want to tackle that technique..video using those at top...but dpns are frequently used for hats). And the recommended yarns might prove to be problematic for the beginner as the 'fuzzy' (Hush) could be difficult as it won't show stitch definition and could be hard to frog if you need to undo. The 'Bear' hat is worked flat and uses larger ndls so perhaps a better 'first' project. JMO.

cam

Last edited by cam90066 : 06-06-2008 at 12:29 PM.
cam90066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
VioletFae
Casting On

OK thanks, I'll keep that in mind about the needle sizes. I may just check out some of the books at the craft store and they may have a pattern I'm looking for. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can also find knitting books at your local library with both How to knit and pattern books.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote