Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Russian Join?
I am knitting this pattern http://www.zephyrstyle.com/catalog/i...47/4944404.htm and the bottom/lace portion is taking yarn quickly. I bought every skein of yarn in the same dye lot that my LYS had. I'm knitting a small, but bought the yarn for a medium because I want to make the longer version. However, it doesn't even look like I'm going to be able to do the short version before I run out of yarn.

BTW- I did a gauge swatch and my guage was on track, but the pattern said to do the guage swatch in SS, not lace. Also, I did remember to double the yardage since it is double-stranded

I'm really concerned that I will run out of yarn soon and weeks of knitting will be down the drain. I have been researching and it looks like my only glimmer of hope may be the Russian join.

I have a ton of short pieces of yarn that I cut to join new yarn. I was wondering if I could take all of those short pieces and join them together?

I've never done the Russian join before, so does it work for a situation like this? This would be A LOT of joins! On the video it looks like the join is a little bulky, which is a huge concern for me because I'm knitting this pattern double-stranded. Also, this is for the lace portion of the sweater, so would that matter?

If you can think of anything else, please let me know. I'm feeling sad and discouraged right now.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

How long are your short pieces of yarn? The Russian join does get a little bulky, wasn't a problem with my single-strand Stst sweater but I could see it standing out a bit more with lace double stranded. However, if you used only one strand and when you folded it to make the join pulled it through so that either end touched, you would have the same thickness all the way. Does that make sense? If not let me know and I'll clarify
Anyway, your short pieces would have to be long enough, so I'm assuming you've considered this already and the pieces are a good length? I tend to cut my ends really short.

If nothing else, perhaps you can search other yarn shops for the same dye lot?
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (06-08-2008)
Old 06-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Can you join new yarn on a wrong-side row?
Originally Posted by jess_hawk View Post
If nothing else, perhaps you can search other yarn shops for the same dye lot?
Thank you for your reply. I have checked around and the other stores don't carry this yarn. I'm probably panicking too early, but I've never run out of yarn before and want to know what my options are now. I think I will keep knitting and see how far my new yarn will go, then if I run out of yarn I'll try the Russian join.

I have a pile of yarn pieces that I cut off when joining new yarn. I don't know if this is true, but I was taught that you have to join yarn when you are working a right-side row (so the join is on the wrong-side). This has caused a huge waste of yarn, so some of the yarn pieces are quite long, but not long enough to knit two rows (a right and wrong side row), which is why it was cut and new yarn added.

Is it possible to knit until the ball of yarn is almost gone and then join new yarn even if you are on a wrong side row? If you joined yarn on a wrong side (purl) wouldn't the join still only show on the wrong side? I haven't actually tried this so I can't visualize it.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Also, I don't know if this matters, but this sweater is knit from the top down (no seams) and the end/beginning of the rows are the front edges of the sweater. Therefore, I was told not to join new yarn at the edges.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I had always read that you try and join at the end of a row so that you can weave in ends along the seam line where it is less obvious.
McKnitty (06-09-2008)
Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

You posted at the same time I did. Knitting in the round I think I would have tried to join under the arms area if possible. In other words where the seams would have been if knit flat.
McKnitty (06-09-2008)
Old 06-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I always use a Russian join or just weave in the ends so I don't end up with a knot anywhere, so I stop at an edge if I can but it doesn't matter if its a right side row or a wrong side row. Even if you tied a knot you ought to be able to fiddle with it until its on the back.
I know it does matter if you are changing colors while knitting certain designs. But if you are using the same color it doesn't really.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (06-09-2008)
Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Goodness, the Russian join looks so easy when Amy does it on the video, but I'm having some difficulty. I've been practicing on my pile of yarn scraps. I'm not sure, but I think the eye of the needle is too large because it 'sticks' when I try to pull it through. However, I tried a smaller needle but I couldn't get the yarn through the eye.

After I pull the yarn through, I go back and try to smooth it out, which works a little, but the join is still lumpy, bumpy, and thick. Does is just take a lot of practice? Any hints, tips, or tricks to this?

I want to learn how to do this because I really like the idea of cutting down on so much wasted yarn. I'm guessing I have enough scraps of yarn to equal a skein.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I love the russian join and use it whenever I can for changing skeins. That being said I don't think I would advise using it to make a long piece of yarn fromalot of small ones. There is always an area that is more bulky and that would be exagerated if you put many pieces together. I would also worry about the strength of so many joins.

I would do whatever you could to find more yarn.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GinnyG For This Useful Post:
McKnitty (06-09-2008)
Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by GinnyG View Post
I love the russian join and use it whenever I can for changing skeins. That being said I don't think I would advise using it to make a long piece of yarn fromalot of small ones. There is always an area that is more bulky and that would be exagerated if you put many pieces together. I would also worry about the strength of so many joins.
Good point about the multiple joins. Right now I'm using the scraps of yarn to practice, rather than risk trying a new procedure on my current project.

I'm guessing the Russian join may not be good for a project that is double-stranded? That would make it too bulky, right? Or perhaps you could join each strand in a different place?

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry