Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to SteveDallas Send a message via Yahoo to SteveDallas
This is from Jane Brody's "Good Food Book." Shockingly, our kids have always liked it as other foods have gone in and out of fashion. It's vegetarian, the ingredients are cheap, and it's easy to cook. Here's how I make it.. there may be differences with the original! You do have to run the stove, but it doesn't take that long and it's not as horrible as baking something.

Start boiling a pot of water for some pasta.

While it's boiling, chop up about 2 cups of onions and a couple cloves of garlic. (Pressing the garlic is fine if you don't feel like chopping it.) Saute them in 2 tbsp of olive oil. (The pan needs to be big enough to hold the completed sauce--a regular frying pan is probably just a little too small.)

When they're cooked through, throw in 1 can (~14oz) of diced tomates, 1 can (~14oz) of chick peas straight out of the can, and a 2nd can of chick peas that you've ground up in a food processor or blender. Note: don't drain the tomatoes and chick peas.. their liquid goes in as part of the sauce. Optional: 1 tsp of Rosemary. It adds a bit, but if you don't have it or if you have kids who give the evil eye to "green things", it does fine without.

Stir everything together well and heat it till it starts boiling, stirring often enough to keep it from sticking. Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 mins. and serve on the pasta.

Put the pasta in to cook so it'll be ready roughly at the same time as the sauce. Serve with pepper and parmesan cheese to taste. It's good with a salad.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
HollyP
Working the Gusset

This is one of my family's favorite summertime meals. It takes less than 20 min including boiling the the water. I unvented the sauce recipe trying to mimic what I had tasted while in Italy

Tortellini w/ tomato basil sauce
Sauce
1Tbs(or so) olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic minced
1 large (28oz) can diced tomatoes( for a chunky sauce for smoother crushed tomatoes work well)
1 tbs sugar( I've switched to Splenda)
Fresh basil -torn or cut I really don't use a set amount I grow basil all summer so I pretty much use what I can get without killing the plant. My SIL uses a whole plastic container from the grocery store.

In a large sauce pan briefly preheat oil. Add the garlic stir to infuse the oil. When you can really smell the garlic add the tomatoes and sugar. Cook until slightly thickened over med high heat. Turn off heat and stir in basil.
Stir in the cooked tortellini and serve. I use the tortellini or tortelloni found in the fridge section I think it is Bertolli brand. Cook according to package directions.
The sauce is also great with a little grilled chicken over pasta.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #13
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
Oh man, I got this recipe from my father in law that is delicious! Barely any cooking involved, it's called Pickled Mostaccioli. I also love to make my Pasta Salad in the summer 'cause it's a good cold food. If you want any of the recipes just PM me!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

here's one of my family's favorites (borrowed from "Cheap. Fast. Good!" cookbook-AWESOME book, btw, highly recommended!)

BBQ Chicken and Black Bean Burritos

1-2 tb cooking oil
1 lb boneless,skinless chicken, breasts or thighs, thawed
1 chopped onion (medium)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 c favorite BBQ sauce (I use KC's Masterpiece, hickory)
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese ( i usually use Colby Jack)
flour tortillas
sour cream if desired

1. Peel and dice onion and set aside.

2. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat. While the oil is heating, cut the chicken into bite size pieces (easier if chicken is still partially frozen, btw!), adding to the skillet as you cut. When all chicken has been added, cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Add onion and garlic, stirring frequently and cooking 3-4 more minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in the center.

4. Mix in beans and bbq sauce, coating chicken. Sprinkle cheese over mixture evenly and allow to melt, 2-3 minutes more.

5. Serve in warmed tortillas with sour cream if desired.

Hope you like it! The book I referred to has LOTS of really good recipes-and almost all of the ones I've tried have been a big hit and very easy.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #15
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
We eat a lot of noodles. ONe thing we've discovered that we like is to cook the noodles and toss them with Italian drasseing to eat the next night. YUM!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote