Old 06-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
boo1
Turning the Heel

My first pair was bamboo, for $3.
Now I'm an Addi junkie, but the Chiao Goo's were great for starting.

And I'd recommend about a size 8 and some worsted weight yarn.

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
desidiva
Casting On

I just started knitting a couple months ago. A friend originally taught me how to knit using metal needles, maybe a size 7. I didn't really like them because the stitches slipped off. Also, she gave me really thin yarn so it took forever. Another friend suggested that I get chunky yarn and big needles. I bought size 13 bamboo needles. I loved those needles. It worked up really quickly because of the chunky yarn and the big needles. I still use bamboo needles. I recently bought a pair of plastic needles that were on clearance. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
desidiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Jillie
Ribbing the Cuff

I learned on bamboo over 2 years ago. They were nice for a beginner because the stitches don't slip off as easily. You can rub them between wax paper to make them slicker if you knit really tight. Once your gain more control over the yarn and your tension, metals become quite fast. I even enjoy the metal "clicking" and it even makes for a rhythm that is rather relaxing. I would do a small project first on short straight needles(Bubbles, the fish dishcloth on knitalittlemore.blogspot.com is really easy, fast and cute--also one with fins), and then try something on circulars with a short cable, so you can get used to the difference. They are nice to get used to when you are ready for larger projects or working in the round. Happy knit'n!
Jillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #14
kellybigeyes
Knitting the Flap

I have been knitting for about 7 months or so. I joined a local knitting group at the library. They taught us on metal 10 1/2 using Peaches and Cream Cotton Yarn. It went very smooth. Our first project was a dishcloth using this pattern. I hope this helps. I love the Addi Turbos now also. They are so easy to work with. I would not recommend buying the interchangable set if you are a beginner... just because they are expensive and that is a big price to pay if your not sure if you are going to stick with knitting.

I am also kellybigeyes at http://www.ravelry.com/
kellybigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:12 AM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
My vote: Knit Picks "Harmony" interchangeables...inexpensive, slick but not slippery, and you can add pieces to your set as you need them, or can afford to add them.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #16
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
Last weekend I got two pairs of Addis. One is Turbo and it's nice and slick and I love that. The cable is nice. They aren't as pointy as I would like. The other pair is gold-colored and nice and pointy like I want but not slick enough. I need to get my Options and get it over with! Every time I get the money together Julianne needs something. Now it's going to be three weeks before I can justify it.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

I started with just some junky acrylic yarn and plastic needles, because I took it EVERYWHERE and we were going travelling soon. It really depends on the type of yarn. So, I agree with everyone else.
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #18
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

I started with 10mm wooden ones from the market and acrylic yarn. The needles were fine for a few weeks, particularly because the stitches didn't slip off while I was learning but I got frustrated with it the more I practiced because my knitting got tighter and I couldn't move the stitches off the wood very easily so I switched to aluminium. Its all a matter of preference. I wouldn't start with anything too small though.

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote