Old 06-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

I read that buffing your nails so they are smooth is supposed to help. I bought some stuff called Just Buffed that they sell in the UK that is supposed to fill in all the ridges to make your nails smooth as if you have just buffed them, which I am about to try. I always use base coat (had a nasty episode involving black nail polish and no base coat that resulted in stained nails and have since learned my lesson!). I also always use top coat. That said my nail polish always chips within 24-48 hours, even the chip resistant ones. I usually do a french manicure, its not as obvious when it chips but its still pretty.

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
fireflyknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Quick question-- why do you guys keep your polish in the fridge?

fireflyknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #13
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I've always heard that if you keep the polish in the fridge then it won't clump or give you those small bumps on your nails...I don't keep it there all the time but I will put it in there for 10-15 mins before I paint my nails esp. when it's hot and muggy

As for chipping I always put a base/top coat and I have found that the OPI polish holds pretty good, except I haven't had as much luck with their new pen staying, which stinks 'cause I love the new pen brush...

I also love petites and find that it stays pretty good and it is cheap!

I'm a light pink girl...my 4yr old is all about color though

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
fireflyknitter (06-15-2008)
Old 06-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
Silver
Instepping Out

I've been wearing acrylic Pink & Whites for about 6 months now... they never chip or fade!! But when I "go natural", This is what I do, and my polish usually lasts at least 3 or 4 days, but I can extend it for up to a week.

1. Wash hands and scrub nails.
2. Lightly buff the surface so they're smooth.
3. Swipe nails with alcohol.
4. Apply a good base coat. I use "Orly Bonding".
5. Apply 2 coats of color, letting it set at least 5 minutes before coats.
6. Apply a good top coat.

If the polish chips, I fill the chip with color and apply another top coat. I carry both the color and top coat with me because I hate chipped nails.

Polish is bound to chip off natural nails because of the natural oils in your nails. You'd think in all these years someone would come up with a chip proof polish that doesn't involve acrylic nails.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
cam90066
Working the Gusset

I've been doing my nails since the 60s so have tried every polish, trick in the book. Back in the 90s I was forking out for manicures and got turned on to OPI so used that until I happened upon Revlon's ColorStay. I was touting the wonder of this product to a friend (also an OPI user) so took a pic of a two-week+ manicure. With rare exception, with both hands and feet, I end up doing new mani/pedicure due solely to the nail growing out (and gap forming by the cuticle). (I've gone several weeks before redoing the toes and nary a chip.)

Some months back my local .99 store had some RCS. Then, my local BigLots had bottles of it, as well. Of course, when I went back, there were no more. Argh.

BTW, because the RCS polish is used up faster than topcoat I've used the RCS topcoat with other polishes I have that don't wear all that well and the RCS topcoat improved the longevity and appearance. The RCS dries super fast so I'm able to to do both color coats and the topcoat, fully dried, in under 15 mins.

cam
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nails.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	48721  
Old 06-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #16
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitgal View Post
Oh- and a side note- you shouldn't put your nailpolish in the fridge. It makes it separate.
Hmmm...I looked online and it said that I should keep it in the fridge. It keeps the colors brighter. I just shake it up again and the color is fine. Don't mean to sound know-it-all......

Thanks!
knittingymnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #17
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Many magazines I have read have said not to do so. I'm sure there are conflicting opinions on the subject.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #18
gailf
Ribbing the Cuff

Funny I was just looking at my chipped polish (just got a manicure on Saturday) I'm going to try some of the suggestions I read here.
I was just about ready to give up polish. Does anyone know if nailtiques works?
gailf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #19
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Does anyone know if nailtiques works?
I tried it several years ago. Did notice an improvement. But given the price it seemed as tho just letting my nails go w/o polish for a fairly long stretch helped as well. (Can't help but wonder what all those nasty chemicals are doing. While the nails might look good the polish et al aren't letting the nail breathe, etc.).

cam
Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cam90066 View Post
I've been doing my nails since the 60s so have tried every polish, trick in the book. Back in the 90s I was forking out for manicures and got turned on to OPI so used that until I happened upon Revlon's ColorStay. I was touting the wonder of this product to a friend (also an OPI user) so took a pic of a two-week+ manicure. With rare exception, with both hands and feet, I end up doing new mani/pedicure due solely to the nail growing out (and gap forming by the cuticle). (I've gone several weeks before redoing the toes and nary a chip.)

Some months back my local .99 store had some RCS. Then, my local BigLots had bottles of it, as well. Of course, when I went back, there were no more. Argh.

BTW, because the RCS polish is used up faster than topcoat I've used the RCS topcoat with other polishes I have that don't wear all that well and the RCS topcoat improved the longevity and appearance. The RCS dries super fast so I'm able to to do both color coats and the topcoat, fully dried, in under 15 mins.

cam
I also have found that Colorstay is long lasting and I get it on-line at Drugstore.com or Walgreen.com. I have seen it in my local Walgreen stores also. But, as well as it stays on, I find that it dries out my nails which makes them break and because they don't recommend using a base coat, my nails have stained. From a longevity standpoint tho', it lasts forever!! (Well, at least a week on natural nails.)

So, I guess there are tradeoffs in all these things.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote