View Poll Results: What is a resonable price to pay for knitting classes?
4 week class for $10 & 2 week class for $5 5 15.63%
4 week class for $20 & 2 week class for $10 12 37.50%
$5 per class session no matter how long the class 7 21.88%
$10 per class session no matter how long the class 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
Paying For Knitting Classes
Here lately I have noticed that some of the local yarn stores like to charge people just to come in and ask a simple question OR they want $40 for a SINGLE class. I don't know about any of you but that is a good bit of money to spend. Another thing is that Michael's and Hobby Lobby no longer offer Knitting OR Crochet Classes, at least in my area.

So what I was wonder is what do you thing is a good price to pay for a 4 session class, say to learn to knit socks and a 2 session class for learning a basic lace pattern.

I am going to be teaching online knitting class so this is why I am curious. Now I learned to knit AND crochet from family members and books, but actually SEEING some one do socks or lace helps me learn.
Share your Photos of Austin the Bear

Ravelry as KnittinMitchie

Last edited by KnittinMitchie : 06-15-2008 at 06:37 PM.
KnittinMitchie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I really think it depends on things like class size, whether materials are included and the quality of teaching. If the shop is getting a knitting expert in, I would expect to pay more. I'm surprised that a LYS would charge just to answer a question- heck we answer question for FREE on here!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

I think the prices at my LYS where I've taken classes are very reasonable - especially since I live in an area that has a very high cost of living.

The 'socks!' class is $60 for four 90 minute sessions, which comes to $20 an hour.
The 'lace knitting' class is two 90 minute sessions for $40 which is about $13 an hour.
The 'my first sweater' class is six 90 minute sessions for $120 which also comes to about $13 an hour.
Private one-on-one lessons are $30 an hour.

My LYS doesn't charge people who come in and ask a question or two. I can see how they may want to charge if the person coming in requires half an hour of their time to sit and teach them how to do something specific. In which case the LYS should advise them to take a class or have a private lesson.

I agree with knitgal, ultimately it depends on how experienced the teacher of the class is, what the maximum number of students in the class is (obvioulsy the more ppl the less attention you'll ultimately get) and the area you live in/cost of living.

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
boo1
Turning the Heel

The sock class at my LYS is $40 with materials and lasts >>
3-4 hours depending on the needs of the student. My LYS owner will stay over if needed.

boo1
boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Mike
Working the Gusset

The local community college charges $56 for crochet 101, basically learning SC.
They charge another $56 for Crochet 102, learning DC, with the prerequisite that you paid them $56 for 101.
$112 to barely learn basic crochet. (I think it's 4 weeks per class.)

Personally I wouldn't pay anything. That's what books, internet and friends/relatives are for.
My sister taught me to crochet over the phone. (She didn't think it would work and wanted me to drive over but I forced her, just tell me what to do.)

I guess someone who doesn't learn easily would think differently, but even for them I don't see why it would take 4 weeks to learn to knit or crochet.
That is wasting time doing a project and not teaching how.
A 30 minute TV show can teach you to make a chain or cast on and SC or knit/purl.

The biggest issue I've had was deciphering the code of patterns (and deciphering poorly written instructions, which I think is a difference between how men and women think because I can read them to my sister and she knows what they are saying to do even though she doesn't knit).

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

costs
I took a sock class at my LYS and it was expensive. I had to buy their yarn in order to take the class. The yarn cost me 25.00 and the three session 2 hour class cost $40.00. Overall cost seems a lot but breaking it down it wasn't too bad. The only gripe I have is in order to take a class there you have to but their yarn.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
The classes I checked out were $45 for 4 sessions (2 hours each session). Materials were not included. So, I think it really depends on the teacher quality, if materials are included or not, the size of the class, and the LYS's policies on buying materials in their store or not. Those stores that make you purchase your supplies there typically charge less for the classes since they are making it back (and then some) when selling the materials. As I indicated in the poll, I'd gladly pay $20/4 session class.. You could always offer a free class to wet the appetite and for people to see if online classes are for them and then charge for subsequent classes.. Make sure you push in your advertizing that people are saving GAS by taking their courses online!! That means they will actually SAVE money by taking your classes instead of driving somewhere. Good luck! I'm so excited to take your classes. I just can't wait! I want so badly to join the ranks of knitters who knit more than rectangles!! ;P

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to KnittinMitchie Send a message via MSN to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Yahoo to KnittinMitchie Send a message via Skype™ to KnittinMitchie
Hey I'm ALL for saving money on gas Plus I know some of us, me included, don't have an LYS to go to for lessons AND show me what I did wrong help. This is why I think the online classes are going to work and be SO much fun. Right now I'm shooting for an hour long class. I'm sure we'll have class longer than an hour but I figured that was a good amount of time to start with.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
Originally Posted by KnittinMitchie View Post
Hey I'm ALL for saving money on gas Plus I know some of us, me included, don't have an LYS to go to for lessons AND show me what I did wrong help. This is why I think the online classes are going to work and be SO much fun. Right now I'm shooting for an hour long class. I'm sure we'll have class longer than an hour but I figured that was a good amount of time to start with.
Sounds good to me. I've never formally taken a knitting class so I am really psyched. BTW- you mentioned crochet... Will you offer beginning crochet classes someday.. (please, please, please!!)

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
KnittinMitchie
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
Sounds good to me. I've never formally taken a knitting class so I am really psyched. BTW- you mentioned crochet... Will you offer beginning crochet classes someday.. (please, please, please!!)
I am going to be teaching a crochet class.