Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Viridian
1st Leg of the Journey

Breaking Yarn
Quick question here! I sometimes have patterns that mention "breaking" yarn or other times cutting. What is breaking yarn? And why would you need to do it?

Thanks.

Blog - http://www.viridianflare.net

My usual state of being:
Viridian is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

Breaking and cutting yarn is basically the same thing. There are various reasons for which you might be instructed to break the yarn, for instance when you do a pullover in more than 1 piece, you have to break the yarn after each finished piece and later join everything together.

Breaking might be called like that, because you can "break" the yarn by pulling hard on it. Cutting might be cleaner. To everyone his preference. Basically it's the same thing.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueygh2 For This Useful Post:
Viridian (06-18-2008)
Old 06-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

I've always wondered that, too! I had a pattern that specifically said to break the yarn, and it didn't make sense to me why I couldn't just cut it. My need for order and having things need couldn't stand the ragged edges of the broken yarn, and I had to snip the tip. I felt really guilty since that wasn't following the pattern, as it specifically said to break it, but I just couldn't stand it. I'm not feeling more comfortable and don't follow patterns as closely and don't care as much, but I still can't break yarn unless I can find a specific reason for doing so.
Azlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Azlynn View Post
I've always wondered that, too! I had a pattern that specifically said to break the yarn, and it didn't make sense to me why I couldn't just cut it. My need for order and having things need couldn't stand the ragged edges of the broken yarn, and I had to snip the tip. I felt really guilty since that wasn't following the pattern, as it specifically said to break it, but I just couldn't stand it. I'm not feeling more comfortable and don't follow patterns as closely and don't care as much, but I still can't break yarn unless I can find a specific reason for doing so.
OMG! I am compelled just like that too - and then feeling guilty about "cutting" instead of "breaking" the yarn! I am so glad I am not alone
Now I can feel better about cutting it instead. (I have never broken yarn and now may never).

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
LOL I can't relate too well to feeling you have not followed the instructions because you used scissors to cut the yarn. But I totally understand wanting to do everything right. I think I always just assumed "break yarn" was just a knitterly way to say, "cut the yarn". I have never torn the yarn with my bare hands. I have used a number of other ways including fingernail clippers, and even a knife if I had no scissors handy. I like fingernail clippers and usually have a pair with me in my coin purse, even if I forgot to stow my scissors with my knitting before going out. They save the day.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

MerigoldinWA"LOL I can't relate too well to feeling you have not followed the instructions because you used scissors to cut the yarn. But I totally understand wanting to do everything right. I think I always just assumed "break yarn" was just a knitterly way to say, "cut the yarn". I have never torn the yarn with my bare hands. I have used a number of other ways including fingernail clippers, and even a knife if I had no scissors handy. I like fingernail clippers and usually have a pair with me in my coin purse, even if I forgot to stow my scissors with my knitting before going out. They save the day."

Now when the directions say clip the yarn we'll know what to do!

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Viridian
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, guys! I am learning with knitting that patterns are more like recipes and less like the Ten Commandments like I had been treating them.

Cut I shall!

Blog - http://www.viridianflare.net

My usual state of being:
Viridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I am learning with knitting that patterns are more like recipes and less like the Ten Commandments like I had been treating them.
Exactly! Season to your taste.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote