Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
bannaheartsyarn
Casting On

Shape shoulders and back neck, Jarret Jacket
Shape shoulders and back neck
Bind off 8 sts at beg of next 2 rows.
69 (71: 73: 75: 77) sts.

Next row (RS): Bind off 8 sts, K until there are 12 (12: 13: 13: 13) sts on right needle and turn, leaving rem sts on a holder.

Work each side of neck separately.
Bind off 4 sts at beg of next row.
Bind off rem 8 (8: 9: 9: 9) sts.
With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem sts, bind off center 29 (31: 31: 33: 35) sts, K to end.
Complete to match first side, reversing shapings.

I am working on Kim Hargreaves Jarret Jacket and need some insight on clarifying this step. I am a beginning knitter and I need help. I am knitting this sweater for my husband and I want it to be just right. The numbers highlighted in yellow are the amount of sts to the corresponding size Iím following.

I can read the pattern, but I donít understand up to the part; Work each side of neck separately. Bind off 4 sts at beg of next row. Bind off rem 8 (8: 9: 9: 9) sts. Is this a short row technique? Is the next row the row with the 12 sts just knitted? Why canít it just say bind off 12 instead of breaking it up into bind off 4, bind off 8?

After following the pattern just as it is, I realized that it isnít even on both sides because in the instructions; With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem sts, bind off center 29 (31: 31: 33: 35) sts, K to end. Complete to match first side, reversing shapings. Knitting to end would make it taller in sts to the first side because in the beginning here; Next row (RS): Bind off 8 sts K until there are 12 (12: 13: 13: 13) sts on right needle and turn, leaving rem sts on a holder. It doesnít have me knit at all before binding off 8, making it shorter that the other side.

Gosh, I hope I make senseÖ or someone can help make sense of this to me. Thank you much in advance.
bannaheartsyarn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
What they're having you do is work each shoulder separately. Very often they're done at the same time with a strand of yarn for each.

When you work the first row (the bind off 8, leave 12 on the needle,) those are the stitches for one shoulder. It's not really a short-row technique, you're just holding the stitches on the needle to be used later.

You bind off in stages so the shoulder has a slight slope to it.

Since you can't bind off at the end of the row, the shoulders will be off by 1 row. Every sweater with a shaped shoulder is like this, and it doesn't make a bit of difference. It's necessary to bind off on different rows so you can bind off at the beginning of the rows.

Just follow the directions as written, and you'll be fine.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
bannaheartsyarn (06-19-2008)
Old 06-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
bannaheartsyarn
Casting On

Thank you so much. This is my first sweater project and your insight is very helpful. I will trust the pattern. This is a great forum. Have a good one :D
bannaheartsyarn is offline   Reply With Quote