Old 06-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
figaro
Working the Gusset

Koolhaas help please
I am wanting to knit Koolhaas (how do I link it without the address showing up?) and the pattern calls for sz 6 and 8 16 inch circulars. So I thought I would start seriously considering a set of Harmony Options but the smallest size circs are 24 inches? Anyone here made it with the 24 inch circs? I really want to get the Options as there is always at least 5 patterns I want to make but I really do not have any circs at all.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

I made my Koolhaas hat on 16" fixed Options and my dpns. I have the Options interchangeable set and the 16" fixed circs and dpns in the Options line.

If you're not a DPN fan and/or don't want to purchase separate 16" fixed, I think you can use the magic loop or 2 circs method, but don't hold me to that as I've never knit with either method - I love my dpns

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Sure you could use 2 circs. I make all my hats on 24", the 16s are too short. I usually CO on a needle a size up, then join by knitting with the correct needle. I have to sort of do half a magic loop for a couple rounds, but then there's enough give to the sts that I can just knit away with the sts all around the 24".

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
MaleKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

I only ever use circular needles (and occasionally I use DPNs). You can do anything with a long, circular needle. I don't like straight needles, because it's so easy to lose a needle (with circular needles, you never lose them, they are connected) and you are limeted, you can't knit tubes, or large pieces and there is a lot of joint strain.
I also don't like 16" circulars, they are too short and I find them awkward to work with.
with a long circular needle, you can use the magic loop method (which is very easy once you get started)
and you can knit with two circular needles (which is even easier)
I would suggest you get some double pointed needles or use two circular needles.
With a 16" circular, you can pretty much only make hats, but with the longer cirular needle you are investing in hundreds of future projects (hats included) like afghans, sweaters and anything else you can think of to knit.
MaleKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
jdee
Working the Gusset

I like to make hats using the magic loop method. That way, I don't have to switch to dpn's when I start decreasing.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
kaidyddd
1st Leg of the Journey

You can knit in the round using two circular needles.
Roughly half the stitches are on one needle and half on the other. You don't have to have cables of matching lengths to do this and you could use the Options set to do this. Stitch size is determined by the needle that you knit onto each round. I'm not sure that I can explain this with words only, but if you needed a sz. 8 needle you would put a sz. 8 tip on one end and another smaller tip on the other end. The sz. 8 end would always be in your right hand to knit (form) the stitches onto, the other end would be in your left hand to knit off of. Does this make sense?

Kaidy
kaidyddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
figaro
Working the Gusset

Thank you for all replies but I am afraid that I am still confused. This is what the pattern says: Needles Sizes 6 (4 mm) and 8 (5 mm): 16" circular (cir). Size 8 (5 mm): set of 4 or 5 double-pointed (dpn). Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.

I am not afraid of DPN's and while I have knit with circulars I am not their biggest fan. I am wondering if this hat, the Koolhaas, while the pattern is calling for 16 inch circs, could it be knit with 24 inch circs? I am wanting to buy the Knitpicks Options Harmony Set and it comes with 2 each of 24" and 32" lengths. And there is not 16 inch cable that I could buy separately to make this hate. I am wanting to buy the set as there are A LOT of patterns I want to make but the patterns call for circs.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, you can knit it with the 24". But to get started and to finish, you would have to use a sort of Magic Loop method with them. It's not hard, just takes some practice.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not sure if my answer is helpful or not, but I knit all my hats on 16" circ until I get to the decreases, then move to DPNs. I can't imagine them fitting around a 24" circ. If I were getting the Options anyway, I'd just add in the 16" cable separately, as it will come in useful for other hats as well.
Azlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
of troy
Turning the Heel

Circular needles are really a form of DPN's..

so look at 4 dpn's

./\
.\/

and then imagine a cable between the two upper dpn's, and between the two lower onse

.\............../
.\............./

the stitches MOVE OFF THE TIP and onto cable (....) with the stitches in RED

to do magic loop-
\...................
\...................|
the stitches are (at rest) also on the cable..

you can with a 24./29 inch needle, do a half magic loop (
\...............
\...............|
and only have 1 loop --this is awkward (but cheap)

Depending on your budget--you can work in the round lots of different ways..

some are easier (2 on 2 is very easy, so is Magic loop--but both are more expensive (2 needles cost more than 1, Long needles cost more than short!)

some are cheaper (half magic loop) but awkard and a PITA to do (I know, i have been broke and or cheap at times!)

The interchangable sets (knit picks, or Boye, or Denises) are cheaper in the long run...even if they are expensive (it seems) to start.

There are always compromises.. (of effort or affordability!)