Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

So frustrated i could cry LONG
Warning long ranty post ahead:

I am a post grad student living in off-campus college accomodation. That means i pay accomodation fees to the college which cover the accomodation, utilities and internet.
When i moved into the house back in October, it didnt have any internet, they apologised and said they had had to rearange some of the accomodation so it was a bit last minute and it would be up-and-running soon. IT TOOK 12 WEEKS. 12 sodding weeks before i got internet, the only itme i got information on why it was taking so long or what was happening was if i rang or emailed them, they never once took the initiative to contact me.
But finally i had internet at home. Then in January we got cut off. I rand the internet provider, and was told it was because of an unpaid bill. then i called the college and told them. IT was another week before i was reconected, again with no information unless i contacted them first.
the same happened in February.
And again in March ... this time though as it was the same bill that they hadn't paid, we didnt get reconected within a week. It took 7 weeks before i had internet back. during that time i spent over 3 hours ont he phone to BT wrote goodness knows how many emails to the college was on the phone to them contstantly, all the time getting told that it wasnt their probelm they had doen everything they needed too etc and again getting no information unless i contacted them first. Only when i took legal advice and wrote a formal letter of complaint asking for a formal apology and reimbursment did it get taken seriously, and even then it wa another 2 weeks and a follow up letter before i got internet back at the house.

Then two weeks ago i got a letter from teh local water supplier saying that since the house had not been registered as occupied and no bill had been paid, we were being dissconected from mains water in the next 3 days. I got on the phone and email to the College, and thankully they sorted it out within 24 hours so i didnt loose my water! it took me phoning the water company to find this out though, as nobody in the College contacted me to say it had been dealt with.

Then yesterday i get a phone call from the University Finance office saying they have a final notice from BT and is it me who deals with it or somebody else? i told them it wasn't me but the college who dealt with it and left them to get in touch with the relevant people.

Today my internet has gone off.

I just want to cry or to hit somebody.

Did i mention i am a postgrad student who is trying to research and write her dissertation? or that i am severely dyslexic with psychologist reports from the student dissability services saying that i should have as little stress as possible and home internet access?

I'm loosing my mind.
sorry for the long rant i just needed to get it out.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I'm sorry

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (06-17-2008)
Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

How frustrating is that?!? I'm sorry you're having to go through all of that. I hope things get resolved very quickly!!

otn:
Garter Stitch Scarf
Palindrome Hat
Knitted Ornament Covers

fo's:
Bookmark
Basic hat
Lapghan
Golf Club Covers
Knitted Ornament Covers
Mother's Day Slippers
Twisted Stitch Scarf
Calorimetry
Oh so Soft Baby Blanket
stacyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stacyk9 For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (06-17-2008)
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (06-17-2008)
Old 06-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
that's awful...is there someone else higher up that you could talk to...that could make sure the college is doing what it's suppose to do?

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (06-17-2008)
Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Awwww, I'm so sorry that you have had to live like that. How frustrating...no one should have to live with that sort of stress much less someone trying to work on a dissertation who needs consistency and quiet for concentration.

I lived in a cruddy apartment with a horrendous landlord one year when I was in college and was SO happy to move on into a house after that. Well, that next year, I found out that our new landlord was actually related to the old one...and was worse. The guys that had previously lived in our house had trashed it and didn't even clean it before we moved in. The landlord came over at our request because the toilets didn't work right and there was nasty stuff all over and he tried to blame US saying that we stopped up the toilets with 'all our feminine products' (we'd moved in that same day!) and that we obviously had a huge party and didn't clean up after ourselves. Ummm, no. There were also scary creatures in the basement so we wore shoes when we had to go down there to do laundry. It was quite the experience but at least I can look back now (12 years later) and laugh.

This too shall pass and someday you will look back and marvel at your strength in the face of this ridiculous adversity.

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Fun For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (06-17-2008)
Old 06-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
jeanius80
Instepping Out

sophie-
i just wanted to send a hug and well wishes. I can't believe the uni is letting all this happen! I hope it ends up well and that it doesn't affect you work
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeanius80 For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (06-17-2008)
Old 06-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts

Isn't it horrible that you can never rely on other people to do the job they are supposed to do and YOU ultimately have to be the one to take care of the problems that should have NEVER happened?

I completely sympathize; I've had to deal with countless incompetent companies and it is so tiring and time consuming. I was even on our local news because one company I dealt with was so incredibly incompetent it took our local news station calling the company to sort it out.

You may want to look into that. Our news station has what they call "Contact 2" which is solely for consumer complaints and exposing negligent companies. Maybe your college will get their act together if they are under threat of their incompetence being publicly exposed by your local news station.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (06-17-2008)
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
GinnyG
Instepping Out

How frustrating!!!! I am sorry!!

It might be less stress, at this point, to make other arrangements for your internet and pay it yourself.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

Thank you all for your kind words and support. It realy does make me feel better knowing there are some nice, responsible and thoughfull people out there.
I have subbmitted an official complaint to the Dean of the university (a step higher than the college) and when i have spoken to the deans offic on the phone they do seem supportive.
Sadly this is not my first 'home from hell' but it is the first where the landlord (and not a private landlord at that) is the one causing the most trouble!
Oh well, i'm only here until September, then it is on to pastures new.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote