Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Teddi
Ribbing the Cuff

knitting with yarn in front/back
Please tell me why there is knitting with yarn in front and in back, and how do I do these? I also need to know about purling with the yarn in the back and in the front. I simply don't understand what the point is...or how to do it really. I know it's simple. it's a matter of putting the yarn in front or in back of the needle, but when purling and it says to put it in front, does that mean as if to purl or as if to knit? This makes me feel pretty stupid.
Teddi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
When working a KNIT STITCH, make sure the working yarn is dangling in the back of the work.

When working a PURL STITCH, make sure the working yarn is dangling in the front of the work.

If you don't, in either case, you will be making/creating an extra stitch. Sometimes this is done 'on purpose'...and in those cases, this maneuver is called a yarn over (abbreviation "yo")

Please click on this link...and scroll down to the abbreviation yo in our Knitting Help GLOSSARY...and watch Amy's video for doing a yarn over. You will see for yourself what happens when you make a knit stitch with the yarn in the front of the work instead of the back of the work, and vice versa.

Hope this helps!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
Teddi
Ribbing the Cuff

Many thanks
THANK YOU ArtLady1981!! I know about yarn overs and how to do those and why and now that I know that the front and back means to get the yarn out of the way so that I don't get an additional stitch, I understand completely!! Thank you for explaining that because whenever I slip a stitch purlwise, I always make sure the working yarn in out of the way, and the same is true when slipping a knit stitch. Maybe I can get that sock underway again! Thank you so much!!
Teddi is offline   Reply With Quote