Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
sideways
Ribbing the Cuff

Non-pilling yarn for socks? (not that fine stuff)
I finished my first pair of socks a while back, and really like them. The wool keeps my feet warm despite having sweaty feet.

My problem is the yarn (Patons classic wool) pilled horribly after two wearings. It wasn't the washing, it was the abrasion of being inside slippers because I noticed new fuzzies after wearing them for a few hours.

Can someone suggest a wool worsted that won't pill so bad, and close in price range? I like making my own socks, but there's no point if yarn costs more than buying store socks. I'm interested in utility here, not large color selection or if it self-stripes or not.

Thanks.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

I am by no means experienced in this subject, but I have heard that sock yarn needs to have some nylon content (25-30%) to hold up well. I am sont sure if this would mean less pilling, or just refers to the ability to resist holes.

good luck!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

I agree that some non-wool content helps prevent pilling. If you're looking for worsted weight and reasonable price, I would suggest trying Lion brand Woolease.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Just a question, why don't you want to use "the fine stuff"? It may seem a little intimidating, but it's not that bad- especially if you've made socks already. There are several designated "sock yarns" that are sport weight, which might be a little easier for you.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote