Old 06-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

For Dear Friends I'll Never See Again
A pair of friends have decided recently to split town and bike cross country (east coast to west coast, and it's not a roundtrip adventure). They've begun to sell off their belongings so it sounds like the real deal.

So I've decided that before they go I want to knit them each (at least) a pair of socks. Nice comfy cushy socks for their weary feet on a looooong journey west - if I can I'd like to do a pair each wool and cotton for cold and hot weather.

They're vagabonds on the road carrying all they've got on them, so I figure socks are the best gifts to give?

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I've got about a month before they leave.

Both awesome people I will miss. What would be the most practical thing to give?
a.shin.grace is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
hiya a shin,
definitely make them boot sock length. Nothing is worse than having your boots eat yer socks cause they are too short.
Not too loose nor too tight. Lots of ribbing at the top n not lacy or with lot'sa bumpy texture.

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:35 AM   #3
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for your advice!! I never woulda thought to myself that the length of cuff would make a huge difference on the road. But now that you say it, it sounds pretty obvious! Nobody wants ankle chafe on the road, yowsers!

If you hadn't said that I might've just bound off quickly so I could get the socks DONE, but socks half-done aren't much better than not done at all, eh? Gotta do it RIGHT!

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I agree with Fibrenut. Boot length, nice soft cushy plain socks with lots of ribbing to keep them up.

I'm sorry your friends are moving but they will have the adventure of a lifetime so be happy for them!

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

Since they'll be "living off the land" and probably stopping to freshen up, you might make them a soap sack with a scrub brush and nice, larger face cloths. The socks are a wonderful idea as well.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
If there is a chance they'll be on the road during cold weather a hat/scarf combo would be a good idea, too. Since the scarf is attached to the hat it wouldn't fly off or vice versa and you can make it short enough to keep them warm w/o being long enough to get caught in the bike.

http://shop.interweave.com/store/Nom....aspx?AFID=12#

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
fibrenut
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to fibrenut
Hiya again,
Another item that Jan's post brought to mind is a balaclava, fingerless gloves also are great. They can go over the leather ones and give just enough warmth to keep yer hands warm without sacrificing grip.
I wouldn't do a scarf though. Nothing like getting smacked in the face with the end of a scarf going 75 down the freeway. OUCH!! Or you can do a neck warmer that goes up over the nose but not the head. Keeps your face nice n warm in the early morning cold. I made one and I love it. My hubby wears it on occassion as well and he likes it too. I made mine from lamb's pride in colors to match his bike.

knittycakebaker on ravelry
LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE
motorcycles are everywhere!!
Abate of Colorado
fibrenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

I turned the heels of my first pair last night. Now I'm off to the yarn store so I can get a pair of needles two sizes down for the ribbing. The other socks I made I used the same needles all the way through and the ribbed cuff is a little silly. It's huge! So two sizes down is the way to go, right?

By the way I thought I should clarify. When I said "they're biking cross country" I didn't mean on motorcycles, I meant on their bicycles! They're both riding on fixed gear bikes!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
If there is a chance they'll be on the road during cold weather a hat/scarf combo would be a good idea, too. Since the scarf is attached to the hat it wouldn't fly off or vice versa and you can make it short enough to keep them warm w/o being long enough to get caught in the bike.

http://shop.interweave.com/store/Nom....aspx?AFID=12#
When they're riding across the desert they'll probably encounter some cold weather at night, but they probably won't be riding at that time. I was thinking the same thing about cold weather gear, and I thought a helmetliner might be a good idea (I knit one of those for my bf last winter who is also an avid cyclist) -- but, they both have dreadlocks, so the design wouldn't quite work. It'd need something open in the back for the hair, sort of bandana style...

The soap sack is a good idea, Mary! If I can manage, that'll be next on my list right after the cotton socks and wool socks.

I need to give some thought to cold weather head gear though...
Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
a.shin.grace
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by fibrenut View Post
Hiya again,
Another item that Jan's post brought to mind is a balaclava, fingerless gloves also are great. They can go over the leather ones and give just enough warmth to keep yer hands warm without sacrificing grip.
I wouldn't do a scarf though. Nothing like getting smacked in the face with the end of a scarf going 75 down the freeway. OUCH!! Or you can do a neck warmer that goes up over the nose but not the head. Keeps your face nice n warm in the early morning cold. I made one and I love it. My hubby wears it on occassion as well and he likes it too. I made mine from lamb's pride in colors to match his bike.
Do you have a picture of the neck warmer you made? I'm sorta visualizing it in my head and I think it might work...

And they won't be doing 70 down the freeway, I think one of 'em can book it at about 35 on his bicycle but not for long!!