Old 06-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
debminerva
1st Leg of the Journey

Newbie Frustrations
I'm teaching myself knitting through books and the Internet. I've been working on several small projects - I made a simple hat and scarf.

My edges and binding off skills SUCK! I made a washcloth and it basically unraveled at the corner after one use. I love to knit but I get scared when I get to the end of the piece because I know that I have to get it off the needle. I don't want to screw up right at the end, when I've done really well up until then.

I really want to move ahead with my knitting, but I feel like if I don't learn the basics and master them properly, I'll always be behind. How should I pace myself? Is there a time line I should set for myself to master each skill before I attempt something more advanced?

Thanks for listening.
Debbie
debminerva is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Hmmm...well, I'm not sure how to tell you a timeline as everyone learns and progresses at their own pace. Probably the more time you are practicing, the easier it is to get the hang of it and the videos on this site are an amazing help.

As far as binding off, most patterns will tell you to bind off in pattern - meaning that for that last row, you continue to do the same stitch pattern that you've been doing (like ribbing for example) except after the first two stitches are put onto the right needle, you lift the far right one over the near right one and off the right needle totally. Then you have one stitch remaining on the needle so knit another one onto the right needle in pattern and lift the far right one over that new near right one and off the needle and repeat until you get to one stitch left on the needle. Then get a tapestry needle (or needle with a wide enough eye to get the yarn through) and thread that with the yarn and pass the yarn and needle through that last stitch and take the knitting needle out. Then pull that last stitch tight and then insert the tapestry needle with the yarn still on it under three stitches up in your pattern and three stitches down in your pattern and then cut. No knots. That is the basic way to bind off - hope that helps!

If you need further help, please continue to ask - we're here to help!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Don't cut the tail too short on the last stitch of the BO. You need about 3" to thread it through the sts and it shouldn't come out. Neater, more even sts come about through practice and washing the item helps them even up too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Another trick with binding off is to use a needle that's a size or two larger than the one you used in the pattern. What you do is put the bigger needle in your right hand and bind off the stitches on the left needle with that larger needle. It will help your stitches to be looser...something that I had a problem with for a while.

You're doing a great job. At least you're getting the stitches down. These other skills will improve the longer you knit.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
tokmom
Turning the Heel

Good luck. Everyone echo'd what I would have said, just wanted to offer support. My first dishrag unraveled too, but after doing the BO mentioned above, they stay put.

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
debminerva
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you to all! I made dishcloth this evening and, following your advice, I took my time and binding off actually worked! I really appreciate your help.

-Debbie
debminerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Glad to hear the bind off worked for you - yay!!!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote