Old 06-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
AnnaStocks
Casting On

Quick St St query.
Hey, I have a quick question

I'm just making a pair of the Gold Bobble Booties (Old World Booties) by Gryphon Perkins, and I have a quick query, which is actually more of a general question regarding st st instructions in patterns. If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.

In this particular pattern, when you get to the just before the "Upper" section it says "Purl 1 RS row. Upper, Change to B and work 9 rows even in St St. Next row: (RS) K28...."

I am confused by the term work x rows even in st st.

Now, do I do nine rows which I alternate a row of knit then a row of purl, doing nine rows total, but that doesn't correspond with then going onto a RS row, or do I do 18 rows total (knit then purl a line 9 times, which would take me to a RS row?

Any help gratefully recieved!

Thanks,
Anna

Last edited by AnnaStocks : 06-23-2008 at 05:32 AM.
AnnaStocks is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
jcurry28
Ribbing the Cuff

What this means is you Purl 1 RS row, change colors which is B and then purl again which will be the next row which is the wrong side and then knit on the rs, purl on ws, knit on the rs, purl on the ws, knit on the rs, purl on the ws, knit on the rs, purl on the ws. The purling on the RS row will give the apperance of a garter stitch which is why they are having you do that once. but you pick up the st st on the next row.
jcurry28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
AnnaStocks
Casting On

Hi JCurry 28, thanks for your response. I just started to write the following response, but then realised I had made an error calculating.

" Thank JCurry28, but the problem I seem to be having is that if I do the 9 rows of st st as described, I end up on the wrong side to that the 10th row would be WS facing, not the RS described in text. I wondered whether it was because using the phrase "even" means you're actually doing a different total number of rows than that referred to in the pattern (e.g. 18 perhaps, each st st row counting as a single purl row followed by a knit row, not each knit row and purl row being counted seperately) "

I've just realised that I'm actually on the right side - but that does flag up the same confusion for me in the other very similar patterns, where it gives an even number of rows of stocking st, but expects you to be on the opposite side to what I would expect:
eg.

(RS) Purl Upper: work 10 rows even in st st. Next row: (RS) K27 etc etc.

Surely the row after you finish the st st should be a WS row, not a RS row? Or does the phrase 'even' mean you do something different than a total of ten rows, alternating knit and purl rows.

I guess what I'm asking is, if a pattern says do x rows even of stocking stitch, is that different to x rows of stocking stich?

Any help very gratefully recieved! And sorry if my message is slightly incoherent!

Thanks,
Anna
Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Even means working with no increases or decreases in the number of stitches.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
AnnaStocks
Casting On

Thank you - I guess it's just a mistake in the pattern then!