Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Allergic to Wool.....What To Use????
I have a friend interested in learning to knit and she is allergic to wool. I know there's lots of great stuff out there, besides acryllics but I don't want to advise her to buy something not suitable.

So what can one use?

If you're allergic to wool, I assume that includes 'exotics' such as Alpaca too????????

I'm glad I don't have this problem!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

For learning most people are recommending just doing a practice swatch or scarves or dishcloths for practical items. Cotton or acrylic or other manmade fibers would work depending on how she wants to get started. I wouldn't spend a lot on the first couple of skeins of yarn until she decides whether or not she wants to stick with it or what she wants to make.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

There are a lot of nice acrylics out there. Also wondefurl cotton blends, bamboo blends, soy blends - I just saw some Caron (can't remember the name) at Joanns that was acrylic and bamboo blend. It felt beeee-you-tiful.
Alpaca isn't wool - she may be able to tolerate it.

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doublereeder2 For This Useful Post:
Arielluria (06-27-2008)
Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Thanks. I just want to also know what else is safe for wool-allergy knitters.......i.e. bamboo, soy, etc.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
I'm allergic to wool and when I tried knitting with alpaca my eyes got watery, so I stay away from it as well. I know of people who've had good results with alpaca, so it just might be my level of sensitivity.

As a side note, someone from the SD Ravelry group asked me if I had ever touched non-comercial wool and suggested I try some. She mailed me a a tuft of freshly carded wool and lo and behold, I didn't break out. It must be the chemicals that comercial wool is treated with that make me go all woozy.

As for non-wool knitting, I'm still a fan of Caron SS. My budget's very tight, so I haven't tried too many alternatives.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Originally Posted by DianaM View Post
She mailed me a a tuft of freshly carded wool and lo and behold, I didn't break out. It must be the chemicals that comercial wool is treated with that make me go all woozy.
Well now THAT's interesting. Kinda scary, yikes.

Arielluria, if you or your friend at any point want the complete low-down, No Sheep for You is a pattern book for wool-allergic knitters. It has very thorough info on the topic, as well as gorgeous patterns.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amy For This Useful Post:
Wildfire (06-27-2008)
Old 06-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

I'm allergic to wool and just wanted to add my 2 cents--
First of all, yes, bamboo and soy and corn and milk are all great alternatives and work very well. Also, there really are some nice acrylics out there, soft, nice colors and knit up well.
If your friends sticks with it and decides to get into sock knitting, I think the best place for very fine yarns in "alternative" fibers is www.yarnmarket.com.
Now, as for the chemical/dye/only wool argument: I have found that animal fibers bother me, period. I know there are some people who can wear wool if it's 100% natural, or anything which is non-sheep, but there are also plenty who can't. So my recommendation is to make a pair of mittens in whatever it is, wear them for a while and see what happens. That way, you haven't invested in a lot of yarn and time before you know what your reaction will be. When I knit for other people whom I know to have a wool allergy or sensitivity, I just stay away from animal fibers for them, totally. It just isn't worth it to work on something with love and care, not to mention effort and $$$ and find that they can't wear it, they don't want to tell you they can't wear it so you keep knitting for them with that yarn, etc. Unless, of course, it's something suitable for framing, and then they'll have a nice cardigan hanging on their wall .
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
She mailed me a a tuft of freshly carded wool and lo and behold, I didn't break out. It must be the chemicals that comercial wool is treated with that make me go all woozy.
That or the dyes in commercial wools.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
I am not allergic, but have very sensitive skin so I bought the No Sheep for You book and it's great! I haven't made anything in it yet, but I will and it has a lots of information about yarn for allergies.

There is also a blog and Ravelry pages for the itchy among us-
http://www.nosheepkal.blogspot.com/
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/no-sheep-for-you-kal
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/ewe-thats-gross

Here's a list of fibers (yes corn and milk now!) I don't know names of the yarns though you could look them up on Rav (or google)
Cotton or cotton blends with nylon, acrylic, etc.
Bamboo and blends
Soy and blends
Corn
Silk
Linen
Hemp
Milk

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

To find the ones Jan listed (e.g. milk, soy, corn, etc.) go to www.yarnmarket.com and look in their "exotics" and "rockin' socks" and "eco-fibers" sections.
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote