Old 06-30-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Duessa
1st Leg of the Journey

illusion knitting
First off, I want to knit this...http://ysolda.com//wordpress/skull-illusion-knit-scarf/

I'm not sure I want the crossbones. Could I just knit/purl the rows that are on the chart without the illusion?

I would like to make this all part of a matching set. Any ideas on how I could make a matching hat and gauntlets?

If it helps it's for my bro and will be in black and a very bright green with some sort of dark purple embelishments (fringe, some sort of stitching, etc) Those are his favorite colors. He will be 16 on august 22 so I thought I would really bust out some nice stuff.

I've never done illusion knitting so tell me what you think of it!

TIA once again!

Finished: Arm warmers, dice bag, Hat for brother, two washrags, two tribbles

Duessa is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Illusion knitting is not hard. Just pay close attention to whether you should knit or purl - normal stuff no matter what pattern stitch you are knitting, right? You'll alternate colors, 2 rows for each color. Just as the first 4 rows of the chart are charted, those are the 4 rows you'll need to repeat for any parts of the scarf you want as just stripes, no skull.

Not sure how you can incorporate the pattern onto gauntlets as it's probably too wide/big for the stitch count across the back of a hand. It could probably fit onto a hat, though.

Maybe you can find another skull chart small enough to fit on the back of a gauntlet.

Take a look at these socks - notice the chart is standard looking, but read the directions - you complete 4 rows (2 each color) for each row on the chart. Follow this logic and you can turn any smaller skull chart into illusion for your gauntlets.
http://www.purlescence.co.uk/storyte...alice_sock.pdf

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
Duessa (07-01-2008)
Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
I haven't done it, bit the pattern looks fairly easy.

Here's a few simple dishcloth patterns and sometimes having the instructions written by a couple different people helps to understand it. You can see how the two rows of color work on these.
http://www.knittingknonsense.com/can..._illusion.html
http://laurasknits.googlepages.com/i...heartdishcloth

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Duessa (07-01-2008)