Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
Why is this baby sock not working?
http://www.valleycafe.com/knitting/sock-pattern.html

It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong. I've made 4,000 of these socks by now, but here's what happens. I do the ribbing, then 3 rounds of stockinette. But when I get to the heel, I have to do a purl row before I can start back in with the pattern, or else it puts the stockinette on the inside of the sock. It's not that I'm knitting inside out, because the 3 rows under the ribbing are correct. But then the first row after I divide is a wrong side row, not a right side row like it should be. So far I've just knit the one extra row, but now it's starting to annoy me that it's not matching up!

After I divide for the heel, the working yarn is on the end of needle 1. Then I knit back and forth across that needle. Should I be putting the stitches for the heel on a different needle from the working yarn then joining, or something? That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I looked at the pattern and can't see why it will not work as given. You said,
Quote:
After I divide for the heel, the working yarn is on the end of needle 1.
In my thinking of the pattern I think it would work if when you divide the stitches this way.... Your yarn is at the beginning of needle 1 as you are ready to divide. Don't move the yarn at all. Slip 4 stitches from needle 2 onto needle 1 and move 2 stitches from needle 3 to needle 2. Now needle 1 has 12, and the other 2 have 6 and your yarn is still right where it started, at the beginning of needle 1 ready to do a knit row.

Are you doing it some other way than this?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't know why your post made this so obvious to me, but I think I just need to divide for the heel differently, so that the working yarn is in the right place instead of the opposite of what I need. I don't know if that makes sense or not but it's working in my head. I'm about to make some socks for a friend's soon-to-be-baby, so we'll see
Old 07-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
When you said you had made 4000 of these, I figured you know waaaay more about making baby socks than I do. :-)But no one had offered any help so I thought I'd look. Have you made lots of socks or lot of this particular pattern?

I haven't made this sock, but I drew a little picture of three needles and thought it out and I thought maybe you were dividing them a different way. I hope this works. As I said I have not actually tired it but it seemed to make sense on paper.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

I have made a bunch, but always threw in that extra row. Except on a couple, when it just worked. I think I know why now though