Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
twoxover
1st Leg of the Journey

hitting the wall! way too frustrated...
remembering i am a beginner, with several scarves and dish clothes to my name <g>...

i started a sleaveless shell in plymouth margarita-which is a ribbon type yarn, with little dealy poppers on it <g>.....the pattern is a modified lace pattern (whcih i''m conveniently forgetting...something like knit 2together, make one, lather, rinse, repeat, and then the next row is purl 2together...)

anyway, i keep finding that i am not ending up iwht the correct number of stitches at the end of the rows. frustration does not begin to describe me <g>. because this is a summer top, i'm giving serious thought to putting it down (cause it does not appear to get done this year!) and starting something fall'ish that might be easier....

or, i could just leave the knitting at turnpike rest stop and claim that i lost it!

betsey
twoxover is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Oh I know...my learning curve for garments was very, very long.

Instead of frustrating yourself by trying a lace pattern your first time out for a top, why not try a simple pattern?

After many, many, many tries my first successful sweater was a top down and once you get that first success, the sky's the limit

Knitting Pure and Simple (available on line at Web's and other on-line shops) patterns are perfect for a beginner. If you belong to Ravelry, there is a "top-down" group and you can find a ton of free patterns.

Good luck!

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmyrottnboy For This Useful Post:
twoxover (07-02-2008)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Can you write out the exact instructions for the stitches? And how many you're supposed to have at the end of each row and then how many you're ending up with?
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Don't give up! Some yarns are more frustrating than others and some patterns are also. Put the work aside,wait till tomorrow and try to look at the pattern again. I would try to follow the pattern on a swatch with yarn that is more comforable to work with and count stitches. Could you write the lace pattern row again like it is written in the pattern itself? How many stitches did you start with? I didn't understand what is "lather, rinse"...
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
do you have holes in your work (are you dropping stitches). i did that a fair bit when i was learning taht type of pattern

other thing you could be doing is knitting 2 stitches together (i do this still after nearly 3 years of knitting).

i did that a lot as well, but keep at it. even if you end up starting it again. i found that usually second time round it worked out better.

dont give up though, it will work out.

susi
susi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
of troy
Turning the Heel

when i was a new knitter (eons ago!) i thought swatches were a waste of time..

now i know better!

swatches serve several purposes.. 1 being gauge, but they also allow you to practice/learn the pattern.

get some cotton and make a few face cloth/wash cloths with the pattern

first make a plain square one.. then a diagonal one..

LEARN the LACE pattern on something that doesn't matter, that is easy to frog, that has fewer stitches..

then stitch mastered, make the sweater (shell, top, what ever!)

Don't knit, make mistakes and frog your real ($$$) yarn, make the mistakes in the cheap cotton... (and have lots of face cloths--(when package with a nice soap, and some hand/body lotion, they make great christmas presents.. so they aren't just waste of time swatches.. they are useful and practical!)
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

I agree with Luv. most ribbon yarns have no stretch to them and some with texture do not work very well in a lace pattern. I am working on a shell right now in a ladder ribbon yarn , I am doing it from the bottom up on a circular needle in K. Just round and round till I get to the armhole then split for front and back. The pattern I'm using is called Blippity Tank Top. It is listed under crystal yarns and knitting patterns central. good luck.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I know how you feel... I'm make a skirt for my dd and I was having a time with the eyelet pattern I choose for it. I've been kntting for a while now and I wasn't getting this one right...

Here is what I did... it's 11 stitch repeat, so every 11 stitches I put a stitch marker. That way I could see when I was way off. I still have 2 little mistakes but my yo's weren't way off.

and learning the stitch pattern like of troy suggested can help a lot too.

If you do decide to put it down make sure you write as much as you can about where you are and what you have done, gauge, needle size, row # stitch #, name and website or book for pattern, etc.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
twoxover
1st Leg of the Journey

denise-

i really like your idea...any of those patterns simpler than others???

betsey
Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
twoxover
1st Leg of the Journey

hi everyone-
thank you so much for your words of encouragement...

it's cast on 84 sts..work 8 rows in garter stitch, then begin lace pattern, keeping first and last st in ever row st st.

the lace patter is:
row 1: k2tog, yo and repeat to end of section
row 2: p2tog, yo and repeat to end of section.

i keep ending up with 83 or 85 stitches. i know it shouldnt' be a difficult pattern..i practiced (LOTS!) on cotton and wool before starting...

betsey