Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

baby yarn for a baby blanket
I love to knit, but usually crochet baby blankets. Since they're 'holey', I tend to double up the yarn (hold 2 strands at once). I'm going to knit a blanket. I bought Bernat 'Softee Baby', and am debating whether I want to use it single or double-stranded.

I'm thinking about making this:
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafbh.htm

But also like this:
http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com...t-pattern.shtm

Do you find single-strand thick enough or is it too flimsy? Does it depend on the pattern?
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
The needle size and pattern affects whether it's holey or not. The second pattern you listed is supposed to be that way because it's lacy the other is more solid.

It's kind of up to you whether you want a thicker fabric or not. Personally I'd rather use worsted instead of double stranding if I want something thicker.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (07-02-2008)
Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
The needle size and pattern affects whether it's holey or not. The second pattern you listed is supposed to be that way because it's lacy the other is more solid.
Thanks Jan. I realize that, what I wondered was whether you'd double-strand (or use heavier yarn) for a holey pattern like the feather & fan, since the holes make it less sturdy to begin with. I started a double-stranded swatch of the feather & fan blanket (with some leftover 'softee baby') before I went shopping for yarn, and can't imagine it done in only a single strand.

The heavier weight yarns aren't always as soft or offer 'baby' colours, so I still ended up buying baby yarn today.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Moxiemade
1st Leg of the Journey

I've got to think that the 'baby' yarns are thin for a reason.

When my son was a young baby my favorite blankets were flimsy knit ones. I loved thin and drapey fabrics because they seemed so much softer and cooler on warm days. They were also easier and more practical to swaddle him in as a newborn. 'Sturdy' didn't matter to me as much as weight and softness. I will say that I set aside the really holey blankets because it drove me nuts when his little fingers and toesies would peek through.

I think the DK weight yarn of the Bernat Softee Baby (which is SO soft, I love it!) would be fine single stranded as long as you don't mind a lighter blanket. If, however, you want a thicker, warmer blanket you may want to look into chunkier yarn or different patterns.

I'm on Ravelry!

Moxiemade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
I think I'd rather have a lighter weight one, too. I don't think of them as flimsy at all, just soft and drapey...easy to wrap baby in. There are several very, very soft worsted weight yarns now. Caron Simply Soft, Red Heart Soft, and Vanna's Choice to name a few.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
lucky_alf2
1st Leg of the Journey

How funny -- I've made both those patterns for baby gifts in the last year or so. I made them both with single stranded baby yarn and thought they turned out lovely. The Elegantly Simple Baby Blanket is especially pretty. It really is a question of the "weight" of the baby blanket as double stranded turns out much thicker/loftier.

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
-- Pat Conroy

2008 FOs: Elegant Baby Blanket, Ripple Baby Blanket, 4 Charity Squares, 2 Oddball Premie Blankets
OTN: Another Charity Square
Next: cute teddy bear
Stash: Needs a recount
lucky_alf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

I just finished a pattern (not a baby blanket) in double stranded bernat softee baby, and it was really nice and soft, but I really wouldn't want that for a baby blanket because it's really thick and squishy. It would be nice for a play mat on the floor or something, but I wouldn't want to wrap a baby or covery a baby with it. It's not drapey. In fact, it gave me the impression of a really soft hotpad because of its thick squishiness. It was perfect for the project I just made with it, and I'm glad I did that because I had thought about doing a blanket like that, but no more. Just my opinion