Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

My Max's eye... Final update! - post #76, pg. 8
Oh my goodness people, what a day I had today. My Max came through the surgery well. Although when we came to pick him up and she went to take the IV out of his little leg he made the most horrible screams I've never heard come out of him. I thought it was someone else's cat! DH and I just felt so badly for 'that cat' and it turns out it was Max! I've heard him Hiss at our other cat and growl at the vet. He was just carrying on and on, it was so sad.

He's been sleeping quite uncomfortably since we got home. He peed in his carrier! He's never done that before. His eye looks just awful. I knew it wouldn't look good, but I wasn't prepared for how swollen it is, I think I was secretly hoping it would already look healed and beautiful. Yeah, I like to live in dreamland when I'm dealing with a stressful situation. You can see he's in so much discomfort and on top of that we have to give him an antibiotic for the next 10 days. Not cool. Normally we can do that alone, but since we have to pry open his mouth it'll be a 2-man job. I'm just afraid of hurting him even more by prying open his mouth.

I know he'll feel better in a few days, but boy did this day just creep along at a snails pace. I cried when I dropped him off, I knew I was upset (obviously) but I wasn't prepared for the tears. And my vet actually shocked me by coming across as rather impatient with me for being upset. It's not like I stood there for 10 minutes with tears streaming down my face. His tech was so sympathetic and even went and got me some tissue. Bless her heart. I gave her a hug when we picked Max up. She is such a sweet person. You can tell she loves animals.

I feel like I have to keep reminding the vet that I don't deal with removing body parts on a daily basis like they do, so it's a hell of a lot more traumatic for me than it is them, plus it's not even their animal!

Thank you all for your warm wishes and prayers. We find out in a week if it's cancer or not. God I hope it isn't. This is all taking so long to finish. The first week we saw 2 vets, the second week we saw the eye doctor, the 3rd week we set up the pre-op and this week we did the surgery and now one more week until - God willing - the final end of it all. I'll let you know when I know something. You know, I've gained almost 5 lbs during this whole debacle! I'm eating every piece of junk food I can get my hands on...oy vey. I hate stress.

You all are the best people on this earth!!

Last edited by bailsmom : 07-15-2008 at 10:31 PM.
bailsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dangles For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (07-03-2008)
Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I'm sending positive thoughts to you and to Max. Hopefully, you'll find out he's cancer free really soon.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (07-03-2008)
Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Doodknitwit
Working the Gusset

prayimg for Max and you. Hope he isn't hurting soon.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (07-03-2008)
Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
callmesusan
Turning the Heel

Awww. I hope you both feel better tomorrow.
callmesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to callmesusan For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (07-03-2008)
Old 07-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #7
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Sending you positive thoughts and hoping Max will come through BTW, cats have no control over their pee after anesthetics, so that's the reason he peed in the carrier, not because of the stress. The antibiotics are a hard task, but remember it's for his own good and don't give up. We're praying for you
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittingNat For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (07-03-2008)
Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #8
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
oh poor ickle fella. but as i said before i used to ride a horse taht had one eye, th elady that had him when he had his eye removed said it looked exactly like you have described. she said it took a week to even start to settle down again. after 4 weeks she said it looked ok. now 20+ years later he looks normal just without an eye there!

as for youer vet, what an idiot. dosent he get that people skills ARE part of his job as well, not just caring for poorly animals.

as for anti biotics, prehaps you could inject an antibiotic instead? its less stressful (thats if you are ok with needles, they arent hard to do if you havent done it before). i always go for an injection over tablets even though i HATE needles, its usually better for the animals.

also, i've always used arnica on animals after an opp as it helps with swelling and brusing, so helps recovery etc. you get tablets that are easy for them to take as they are sweet and really tiny, they sdont notice they are taking them in a bit of cheese or something.

sorry i know you weren't after that info, but i have had a afir few opps done over the years on my lot and thought it may help, feel free to tell me to shut up lol

susi
susi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to susi For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (07-03-2008)
Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
catlvr
1st Leg of the Journey

After Max is all healed, I'd dump that vet but fast!! what an idiot! He'll be ok, my pekingese was sort of "out of it" for maybe 2 days, but then seemed to have a miraculous recovery. Hugs to you and Max. Let us know how he's doing (and you too!!)
catlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catlvr For This Useful Post:
bailsmom (07-03-2008)
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
Sending to you. Our pets are like our children and it is so hard to watch them suffer in anyway. You are doing the best for him and tomorrow he should be much better, Sending healing thoughts to both of you.