Old 07-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
pkstoll
Casting On

Advice on How to attach new sole to slipper
Oh, Wise ones.....
I need some expert advice. I've been knitting for a couple of years but I'm not very advanced and don't know a lot.
I have a friend who bought some slippers in new zealand which are made from Merino Wool and Possum. They are cool. Loose slipper; knitted, not felted. They came with this whimpy little partial suede type sole. My friend loves them and wore them a lot but almost immediately the soles started getting holes where they attached to the bottom of the slipper.
He asked me to save them and since I knit he thought I could help. My idea was to buy some of the same type of yarn and knit a big piece then felt it and attach to the slipper over the existing sole.
I opted for this solution rather than just buying and attaching some sort of new suede type sole because I think the whole bottom needs to be reinforced.
The yarn I bought is excellent and I'm knitting on size 6 needles knitting every row so the big piece is a good thinkness. I think it will reinforce the bottom very well.
So, how can I attach it to the existing slipper?
I've attached a photo that might help.
Thanks for any help.
pk
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knit_1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	48956  
pkstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
pkstoll
Casting On

no help?
geeze, I haven't received any replies. Am I that far off base with my idea that you all think I'm nuts?
Really, no one has any advice? I'd take any.
thanks so much,
pk
pkstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

You might be able to do that.... I'd reccomend leather tho.... Or plastic bags covered in Griptex.

The felting sounds like a good idea, I would get iratated with trying to keep track of how much it was going to felt, but that is just me.