Old 07-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Duessa
1st Leg of the Journey

CALLING ALL STASHERS!
My mother recently unlaoded some of her stash on me. The problem is that she is a smoker. They STINK and I don't know what to do about it. I used Fabrize on the very small skiens and it worked ok on some but not on others. I have a whole grocery bag of yarn that has yet to be treated. How should I take care of it?

TIA!

Finished: Arm warmers, dice bag, Hat for brother, two washrags, two tribbles

Duessa is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
princessbonniejane
1st Leg of the Journey

You could try washing it in cold water and putting it outside to air dry. Hope this helps.
princessbonniejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
jeanius80
Instepping Out

I would skein the yarns, then tie them off in several places, like you would to dye them. Then give them all a good soak in soapy water with a touch of vinegar to help with the stink. Hang them out to dry. If they still stink after they are dry, another technique is to take a large bin, place kitty litter with a baking soda additive, layer paper (unprinted newspaper works best) place the dry yarn on the paper and put the lid on. Let it sit for a few day to a week. This should get it all out. Whatever is still stinky, I would donate to goodwill if you still can't stand it.
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Indygirl

I bought some yarn from a going out of business sale. I got it home and it smelt musty. I put it in plastic bags and added fabric sheets. I put it away for a while, maybe about 2 weeks. It is good as new now. Hope this helps out.

Last edited by Indygirl : 07-04-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
Mike
Working the Gusset

If you took up smoking you wouldn't notice
Or you could find a smoker *cough, cough* and donate it to HIM.

I don't know how you'd wash skeins but there are plenty of scent killer soaps found in the hunting isles at department stores in the fall.

You could try a spray on scent killer but I found those to not last as long as the soaps.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote