Old 07-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #51
sarahbean
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to sarahbean
i love tie Independence Day idea!!!!
I was thinking that the white and rainbow one could be called Fun in the Snow. I would love to start it but I would need needles and I have to go get white yarn, so I wouldn't be able to start it right away

Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
gmmarton - thank you to you and your Marine for all that you have done and continue to do! Many wishes that your Marine comes home safe, sound, and soon.

Sounds like we should do another rendition of Patriotic Party. Since we're still in July, maybe we should call it Independence Day. What do you think, sarahbean? Is that ok with you?
How about if we do both?

In the other group, we had a blanket called Patriotic Party, which was done in red, white, and blue. We could do something similar, or come up with another theme that would include white?

Would you like to start this blanket, sarahbean? If not, I'd be happy to start it.

What would you like to call it?

sarahbean
sarahbean is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #52
Spikey
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kellee0302 View Post
I was thinking Blizzard. I actually have size 8 needles that I will send on. I no longer need them.
Blizzard is a perfect name! Thanks so much for offering your needle, we'll make sure it gets back to you!

Originally Posted by gmmarton View Post
Blizzard sounds good, but I don't want to push it! I like the warm weather much better than the cold!
Me, too, but maybe knitting a Blizzard in August will keep us from overheating

Originally Posted by Lisa1216 View Post
All of these blankets sound great! I have some white Caron SS at home, so I could help out on the white one or pick a color for me and I'll do part of the rainbow.

Is Caron Simply Soft what most people are using?
Thanks, Lisa1216! Caron SS is a good choice. We are using 100% acrylic worsted weight yarn, so other options include Lion Brand Microspun, Red Heart Soft Yarn, and Bernat Satin. There is also supposed to be a nice yarn from "I Love This Yarn", but I think you may only be able to get it at Hobby Lobby.

You can also use some baby yarns, holding two strands together at the same time. Just make sure it's about the same thickness as worsted weight when you knit with it.

Since you already have the white, I'll put you on Blizzard. If you buy one of the remaining rainbow colors, let me know. You still have plenty of time to get on lots of blankets.
Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #53
Spikey
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by sarahbean View Post
i love tie Independence Day idea!!!!
I was thinking that the white and rainbow one could be called Fun in the Snow. I would love to start it but I would need needles and I have to go get white yarn, so I wouldn't be able to start it right away
Thanks! Since you are the last knitter on August, how about if you use the needle from that blanket? That will give you plenty of time to get yarn and think about what other colors you want in "your" blanket.

Alternatively, you could start the blanket on a needle you have at home (any size that's good for worsted weight yarn, but we typically use US7-9), and put the last row on a length of waste yarn and send it to me that way. I'll put it on one of the needles that Shandeh is sending for our group to use.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #54
sarahbean
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to sarahbean
That sounds great! I will used the needles from August!

Thanks! Since you are the last knitter on August, how about if you use the needle from that blanket? That will give you plenty of time to get yarn and think about what other colors you want in "your" blanket.

Alternatively, you could start the blanket on a needle you have at home (any size that's good for worsted weight yarn, but we typically use US7-9), and put the last row on a length of waste yarn and send it to me that way. I'll put it on one of the needles that Shandeh is sending for our group to use.

sarahbean
sarahbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahbean For This Useful Post:
Spikey (07-15-2008)
Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #55
onb4050
Ribbing the Cuff

I LOVE the blizzard!! Please sign me up for working on it!!
onb4050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #56
Spikey
Turning the Heel

Great, thanks! Would you be willing to do the border, too? Hope that is not too much too ask!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #57
onb4050
Ribbing the Cuff

I'll do the border too- its not a problem!
onb4050 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onb4050 For This Useful Post:
Spikey (07-15-2008)
Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #58
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
Northeast Rainbow
I can do the orange for northeast rainbow
Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #59
Spikey
Turning the Heel

Great! Thanks, kellee0302.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #60
Spikey
Turning the Heel

BIG NEWS!
Hi Northeast Knitters!
You are such a giving, wonderful group
Our knitters include (in the order you came on board):
gmmarton
onb4050
kellee0302
threesmom
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
sarahbean
lisa1216
SteveDallas

It is a great testament to all of you that the nine of us have managed to commit to eight blankets already - and we haven't even started yet!

Which is why I am a bit reluctant to post this, but it is such exciting news that I wanted to share it with all of you

This may be premature but the Special Delivery Unit at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia would love to be the recipient of any preemie blankets that we make. For those not familiar, this is a brand new, first-of-its-kind center specifically built in to allow women carrying babies with congenital heart disease or other serious congenital malformations, as well as women whose babies undergo surgery before they are even born! They are doing amazing, life-saving work. More information is available here: http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/div...c.jsp?id=85487 (sorry, don't know how to make pretty links )

My main concern is overloading our small, but supremely dedicated group, but I did not want to pass up this great opportunity. What do you all think about doing preemie blankets, too?

I'll do my best to recruit more knitters especially for this project from our region through postings on Knitters Knear You and relevant groups on Ravelry.

One other really cool thing is that they asked if we could help them find local knitters who could teach some of their patients to knit. They get the occasional patient who is on prolonged bedrest, either after fetal surgery or because of premature labor. They do have a nurse/midwife who knits, and I'm usually around, but they might need more folks willing to show someone how to knit from time to time. They'll get the supplies. Any South Jersey/SE PA knitters interested?

Sorry for the long post. What does the group think? As long as we can get more knitters, are we willing to add preemie blankets?

Thanks!