Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #1831
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Hi all! I'm finally back. For some reason I wasn't receiving updates so I had no idea so much was going on! I'm going to try to get the blog up to date this afternoon.

Burma, I'm going to try to answer some of the questions/concerns you have.

"Also, please let the guys doing the borders know if you want a blanket to be earmarked for a boy or girl because crocheted borders are always going to look girlie."
I don't think that is necessarily true. A simple crocheted border in the right color can be masculine. I think most of the blankets you can tell which way they are leaning and do a border accordingly. There also maybe really good gender neutral blankets that should remain that way instead of being pushed one way or the other. Not all people are crazy about pink for girls and blue for boys.

"Anybody know whether Bee-utiful should be bordered for a boy or girl? Thanks all!!!!"
Do whatever color(s) you think will bring the blanket together best.

"Would it be possible for the beginning knitter to jot down the list of knitters on a project before sending it on? If everyone thinks it's safe, we could also include the addresses."
The only problem I can see with this is by having the addresses people might forget to check in and there ultimately could be confusion about who has which blanket. But if everyone else agrees I am game. I agree that the list of knitters and what they are doing is a good idea.

"I keep forgetting whether I'm knitting or doing the border. I just knitted a whole section on Bee-utiful after which I noticed that it seemed kind of long. i did a search on the board and found this post. Seems I'm to be doing a border instead!"
It's OK if they are a little shorter or longer. Babies come in all sizes!!

"Also, could we include in the instructions the one about the colors to avoid for the border? I think green was one of them."
The colors to avoid on the borders are green and yellow. This also goes for the first and last section when at all possible. The hospital has found that these colors can make babies look sicker. I know this to be true, my niece was wearing a yellow onesie one day and she looked so jaundiced.

Of course, if none of you are quite the doofus I am, you might not need any of this!!![/quote]
You're not a doofus you just had questions! It is so much better to ask than to feel confused and frustrated!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #1832
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by CivicSista View Post
Where is a good place to learn some new knitting patterns for these blankets? I usually only do garter stitch.
I like this site .There are also a lot of free stitch patterns online. Here is a Google search I did.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #1833
kellybigeyes
Knitting the Flap

I like the idea of adding the names of the people that are to knit on the blanket... but I DO NOT want my address put down. Seems kinda weird!! But I'm just weird like that I guess!! LOL

Does anyone know the status of the Cupcake blanket?

I am also kellybigeyes at http://www.ravelry.com/
kellybigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #1834
LBECK
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to LBECK
I am with Kelly on not putting the address on the list. I do, agree with the list of knitters though, I think it will save some time in looking them up when they might not be posted on the blog yet.

Also, I agree with Holly on the colors and crocheted borders. I think when I did a gender neutral I did just a simple single crochet around a couple of times and it was not really girlie at all. I have also, crocheted boy blankets and used certain patterns that had scallops and they were not seen as girlie because of the colorway of the blanket.

OTN: Several WIPs
Crocheting baby items for a gift shop.

I am yarnin4aproj on Ravelry.

" May every stitch you knit bring you a little closer to that calm, clear space in the center of your soul. --- Earth Heart Designs"
LBECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #1835
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
I like the idea of putting names with the blanket but without the addressess.

But what would happen if the order changes, or if someone needs to drop off and we add someone else? I guess whoever has the blanket can just make a new list, huh?

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #1836
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
Splish Splash
Oops, I forgot to say that I got Splish Splash from Katie the other night. I picked out a color and will start it this weekend. I'll be sure to finish before Wednesday because I'm flying home on Thursday for a long weekend.
Can I get the next knitters info soon, just so I have it all ready to plop in the mail as soon as it's done?
Thanks!

(I just checked the blog -- Hmmm.... either the order is wrong, or we goofed. Katie (knitgirl2007) and I (howdovely) live near each other and we had been able to hand off the last 2 or 3 blankets to each other. We wound up handing off Splish Splash also, but I just noticed I was not after her! Sorry! Hope this doesn't mess up anyone to badly.....)

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister

Last edited by Howdovely : 06-05-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added note at the end
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #1837
Debbie
Working the Gusset

I just love knitting on these blankets !!! Please put me on Banana Split after Wanda T and also on Splish Splash, also after Wanda... unless there are knitters who have been waiting for a blanket.

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #1838
LBECK
Knitting the Flap

Little Boy Blue
I have finished with Little Boy Blue. Here are the pics and I need the next knitter and the address to send it to.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Boy Blue _2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	54521  Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Boy Blue_1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	54522  

" May every stitch you knit bring you a little closer to that calm, clear space in the center of your soul. --- Earth Heart Designs"
Old 06-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #1839
CivicSista
1st Leg of the Journey

Blue sky is almost ready to go, should be done by end of this week. Life decided to play catch up this past week so have been super busy.
Let me know where I should send it to: Thanks
CivicSista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #1840
LBECK
Knitting the Flap

Does anyone know anything about Dawn or why she has not been on in a while? Just concerned that she might not be feeling well.