Old 10-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #641
blkirback
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to blkirback
I know for me it would probably be just me. My boyfriend hardly ever gets time off of work but maybe if it was far enough in advance we could try for both of us, he wouldn't probably want to go though. I just know it's hard for him to even get time off of work for Christmas so that we can go back to our home state (we're both originaly from Michigan), his boss believes in working and I think that is about it. But I personally don't care if everyone else wanted to make it a family thing, that would be fine with me.

"Luck sometimes visits a fool, but never sits down with him." - German Proverb

"A great leader is not one who does the greatest things. He's the one who gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Regan

"Great crises produce great men and great deeds of courage." - John F. Kennedy

blkirback on Ravelry
blkirback is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #642
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
Originally Posted by MAmaDawn View Post
Looking over at Tori School map I was thinking the North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia border looks like the middle, but I don't know what there...
I have two ideas! I am at work, and my brain stopped working already today, so if i'm way off (yes geographically challenged also, and haven't looked at the map) please forgive me.

If this NC/TN/GA is the general central location, there are two things off the top of my head:

Lake Lure, NC. Randall and I have been checking out The Lake Lure Inn and Spa (yes, I said SPA!) for our wedding. www.lakelure.com Parts of Dirty Dancing were filmed there and the place is just georgeous. Plenty of different types of rooms to rent - cabins too. Off season seems to be December to March.

Also, in the TN mountains - outside Gaitlainburg I think - I looked into big houses/villas type things to rent that had anywhere from like 6 bedrooms, to 16 bedrooms. Pretty cool! Here's one link, but I'm sure there are TONS to choose from.
http://www.mountainchalets.com/Renta...sBedrooms.aspx
I don't know when the off season would be in TN, but probably after Peak Leaf - probably in the Winter. I have no idea the cost, but one I looked at quickly was like $500/night for 7 bedrooms. Split that between a bunch of us and we could do it fairly cheaply. Full kitchens too, so better then a hotel room and have to eat out all meals.

OK, now my brain hurts. HAHA!

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howdovely For This Useful Post:
HollyP (10-01-2008), Shandeh (10-02-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #643
blkirback
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to blkirback
I looked around too and found one place that is in Alabama at Joe Wheeler State Park. http://www.alapark.com/JoeWheeler/GroupLodge/

It has a group facility that has 13 bedrooms and is only $350 for one night or $300 a night for 3 nights. The link shows some pictures. I don't know if anyone would be interested in this place but it looks like it wouldn't be bad, plus it's cheap.

It's not too far off of Interstate 65 in AL. which looked close to the center of the locations. I don't know, I was bored and started looking around.

"Luck sometimes visits a fool, but never sits down with him." - German Proverb

"A great leader is not one who does the greatest things. He's the one who gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Regan

"Great crises produce great men and great deeds of courage." - John F. Kennedy

blkirback on Ravelry
blkirback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blkirback For This Useful Post:
HollyP (10-01-2008), Shandeh (10-02-2008)
Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #644
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Great ideas everyone!
I went to Gatlinburg, TN once, and really enjoyed it because everything was within walking distance on the street. (Of course, that was back when my knee didn't bother me so much.)

I'm open to whatever the rest of you want to do, because I VERY RARELY travel. I prefer to spend my money on yarn!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #645
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Haha! Yeah, money is better spent on Yarn.

Well, if everyone keeps it in the back of their mind and posts ideas - then maybe we can figure something out and put it all together soon. It would be FUN!

----> Howdovely
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Old 10-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #646
LBECK
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to LBECK
I looked on the site that Brenda posted in Gatlinburg, TN and found a 6 bedroom for like 150.00 per night for up to 2 adults but was only 15.00 extra per person over that. That is really cheap.

OTN: Several WIPs
Crocheting baby items for a gift shop.

I am yarnin4aproj on Ravelry.

" May every stitch you knit bring you a little closer to that calm, clear space in the center of your soul. --- Earth Heart Designs"
LBECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #647
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

It's exciting looking at all these places and thinking about meeting everyone...

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #648
nephthys8

Hey everyone, sorry I am a little late to the meet-up party! I think it is a great idea, though.

I'm in Fairfax, VA which is just a little farther north from MamaDawn, so I am good with whatever everyone decides. For me, it is really just going to be about whether or not I can afford it... but, hopefully, in 6 months, I will be able to.

I have credit card debt right now but my goal is to get that paid off by February 2009. I have stopped eating out all of the time (a really bad habit to get into!!) and it has helped a LOT. I have also been getting some overtime at work (we've been busy, so that's why I'm behind on checking in here, too), so the money is coming in pretty good right now.

It isn't excatly central, but I thought I'd just toss out the idea of going to Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC as well. We were talking about it so much the other week, that I thought everyone might want to do something like that where we pick a destination. Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #649
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by nephthys8 View Post
It isn't excatly central, but I thought I'd just toss out the idea of going to Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC as well. We were talking about it so much the other week, that I thought everyone might want to do something like that where we pick a destination. Just a thought.
LOVE Biltmore! Going again soon! It is about 30 miles from Lake Lure, NC (the other idea posted) but I think it took us about an hour to get to it from there. The road is really windy, but a beautiful ride.

----> Howdovely
Old 10-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #650
GennyLynn1962
Instepping Out

Chocolate Mint
I received "Chocolate Mint" today!

LBECK- Your section is beautiful. I don't know if I can do it justice. Thanks for the stick-on notes and flags, you have perfect timing! I looked all over the place today for post-a-notes to mark my row on a pattern I was working on, I was completely out of them. The one's you sent are much prettier too.

I'm GennyLynn on Ravelry too!

OTN:
Baby blanket in hurdle stitch.
"Hey Teach" for me!
Christmas gifts: mostly kitchen towel sets, and fingerless gloves.
GennyLynn1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GennyLynn1962 For This Useful Post:
LBECK (10-03-2008), MAmaDawn (10-03-2008)