Old 07-20-2008, 02:55 AM   #61
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by PeattieWa View Post
Hey there, I am signed up to work on these blankets. I would like to work on the Disneyland themed one if possible. Am I correct in thinking that Caron Simply Soft is the yarn of choice for these?? I don't think I have any in my stash but should not be too hard to acquire some. Please enlighten me. Thanks Becky

No, you don't have to use Caron Simply Soft there are other yarns you can use. My stash is in a shipping container on it's way here, which is why I was looking for new yarn & needles. There are only two places on Maui that are easy for me to get to carrying yarn -- CSS is the only one on the list readily available.

"....that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love... Colossians 2:2

Last edited by auntcrafty : 07-20-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Click on "list" to see the recommended yarns.
auntcrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auntcrafty For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (07-20-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #62
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I would like to work on the Disneyland themed one if possible. Am I correct in thinking that Caron Simply Soft is the yarn of choice for these?? I don't think I have any in my stash but should not be too hard to acquire some. Please enlighten me. Thanks Becky

The only requirement is that the yarn be 100% acrylic and the correct weight (i.e. worsted for the larger baby blankets and dk for the preemie ones).

A question for everyone...DO YOU SMOKE OR LIVE IN A HOME WITH A SMOKER? I want to make sure that those who are allergic to smoke work on the blankets first. We will, at the end, wash all of the blankets before donating them, but I want to be sensitive to those with allergies.

Please let me know so that I can make a notation on my chart.

Last night, I started plugging people's names into slots. I first put people specifically where requested. After that, I just filled in the blanks. There are still some empty slots...I didn't want to over-commit people. Please let me know if you need me to change things around or if you want to be added to a blanket.

This list doesn't take into account my casting on and sending them on to knitters, though, so I may drop off a knitter from one list and move them to another.

If you're first on the list and don't mind casting on, please let me know. I'll get some needles and yarn (if you need it) sent out to you.

Oh, and one more thing...none of these blankets have been designated as preemie blankets. We need to decide which ones are which. Any preferences? If not, I'll just designate them, and we'll run with it.

Pacific Blues
Debkcs
auntcrafty
grannydani (rav)
PeattieWa
ladylou
Need 1 knitter

Purple Mountains Magesty
auntcrafty
pinnut3200
jhelanee
Tobinknit
grannydani (rav)
nannaknits (will hopefully do the border too?)

Grand Canyon Sunset
auntcrafty
pinnut3200
Debkcs
Need 3 knitters

Desert Sand
ladylou
pinnut3200
Need 4 knitters

Strawberry Shortcake

grannydani (rav)
Wyospinner
Need 4 knitters

Rain Forest
nostash2big (rav)
ladylou
PeattieWa
Wyospinner
jhelanee
Need 1 knitter

Blueberry Bliss

jhelanee
nannaknits
Need 4 knitters

Orange Delight
Debkcs
nostash2big (rav)
Need 4 knitters

Disneyland
PeattieWa
Tobinknit
Debkcs
nostash2big (rav)
auntcrafty
Need 1 knitter

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
pinnut3200 (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #63
pinnut3200
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by auburnchick View Post
A question for everyone...[color=Red]DO YOU SMOKE OR LIVE IN A HOME WITH A SMOKER
If you still need a knitter on Rain Forest, I will fill that slot.

I am a non-smoker. I have a lung condition so I would prefer to have non-smoking blankets.

I am also sensitive to pet smells, so please stress that pets not be allowed to lie on these blankets as people are knitting and that the blankets be placed in the bags when they are not being worked on. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to pinnut3200 For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #64
tripletmomma
Ribbing the Cuff

Can I join in? I'm fairly new to knitting but have crocheted for 15 years & have only ever made baby blankets I'll work wherever I fit & if I can be fit into 2 blanket spots that's fine too, just not at the same time hopefully
I'm a smoker (not in the house but I want to make sure that's out there) & have 2 dogs who's hair ends up in everything I make no matter how well I keep it away from them, so I'd be happy to knit after anyone sensitive to pets/smoke.

If there is need for another place to donate blankets I'd be happy to talk to the NICU where my daughters spent their first few months. That hospital is the only level 3 NICU in the Denver(CO) Metro area & women with high risk pregancies from all over the state & region are sent there for monitoring & delivery. Also a large number of the states higher order multiples (triplets+) deliver there. It might be a great place for preemie blankets as the average triplet is 3.5lbs at birth.

Finished my 1st knitting project! Basic wristwarmers

On the needles- pom pom peds, hoping to make 5 pairs in time for Christmas.
tripletmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tripletmomma For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #65
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by pinnut3200 View Post
If you still need a knitter on Rain Forest, I will fill that slot.

I am a non-smoker. I have a lung condition so I would prefer to have non-smoking blankets.

I am also sensitive to pet smells, so please stress that pets not be allowed to lie on these blankets as people are knitting and that the blankets be placed in the bags when they are not being worked on. Thanks
Thanks, Nancy. That's why I've placed you among the first on the blankets.

Originally Posted by tripletmomma View Post
Can I join in? I'm fairly new to knitting but have crocheted for 15 years & have only ever made baby blankets I'll work wherever I fit & if I can be fit into 2 blanket spots that's fine too, just not at the same time hopefully
I'm a smoker (not in the house but I want to make sure that's out there) & have 2 dogs who's hair ends up in everything I make no matter how well I keep it away from them, so I'd be happy to knit after anyone sensitive to pets/smoke.

If there is need for another place to donate blankets I'd be happy to talk to the NICU where my daughters spent their first few months. That hospital is the only level 3 NICU in the Denver(CO) Metro area & women with high risk pregancies from all over the state & region are sent there for monitoring & delivery. Also a large number of the states higher order multiples (triplets+) deliver there. It might be a great place for preemie blankets as the average triplet is 3.5lbs at birth.

Welcome!

I sent you a PM.

I'll add you to a couple of the blankets. If you have a preference of which ones, please let me know.

I think that for the first six months or so, we'll donate preemie blankets to a hospital near debkcs, but in six months or so (after we donate a few blankets there), we can always switch it up and donate a few to the hospital near you.

Does anybody know of any pregnancy centers or anything like that in need of the regular, worsted weight blankets?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #66
PeattieWa
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to PeattieWa
I don't smoke or have pets....so no problems here. Thanks, Becky
PeattieWa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeattieWa For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #67
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

I'm a non-smoker and there aren't any pets at my place. I will change my clothes before knitting when I get home from work -- need to anyway after spending 8 hours with 2 children, 2 dogs, & 2 cats -- so there will be less exposure to pet dander. I'm another one who is allergic to smoke and to scented products, especially hand lotions & perfume/cologne and fabric softeners.

The lists look good to me. I'm going to hold off on signing up for any other blankets, unless we don't get any takers.

"....that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love... Colossians 2:2
auntcrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auntcrafty For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (07-20-2008)
Old 07-21-2008, 02:15 AM   #68
PeattieWa
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to PeattieWa
I noticed that my name is at the top of the list on one of the blankets. If it's not too much trouble I would prefer not to be the one to cast on and start. I am totally willing to work on all blankets assigned to me but just don't feel comfortable being the one who starts. Thanks, Becky
PeattieWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #69
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

I noticed that my name is at the top of the list on one of the blankets. If it's not too much trouble I would prefer not to be the one to cast on and start. I am totally willing to work on all blankets assigned to me but just don't feel comfortable being the one who starts. Thanks, Becky

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to imply that you would be casting on. Unless someone specifically tells me that they want to get a blanket started, I'll do the casting on. We'll bump people down from there and adjust accordingly. So, if I've got five people listed, and I cast on, we've already really got our six knitters.

So, if you see yourself listed first, you're really second. Kind of like the joke...who's on first.

So sorry for not being more clear.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #70
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

I want to welcome another knitter to our group: Dimpledapple.

Our group is growing!!!!

If you know of anyone who lives near you, you go to church with, etc. who wants to join this project, please let me know. People can join up ANY time.

So, here's an updated list of knitters...

KH'ers:
jhelanee
Ladylou
pinnut3200
Tobinknit
PeattieWa
auntcrafty
Wyospinner
nannaknits
tripletmomma
Knittinmitchie (primarily borders but will knit if needed)
Dimpledapple

Ravelry'ers:
grannydani
nostash2big

I'll update the blanket assignments later today. I'm on my way out the door to work.

Thank you, all, for your willingness to donate your time and effort to this most worthwhile cause.

The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
Dimpledapple (07-21-2008)