Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
KniftyKnitterGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to KniftyKnitterGal Send a message via Yahoo to KniftyKnitterGal
Panic Attack
I have been having some panic attacks for a couple weeks now. I absolutely dread it. Has anyone had this? Anybody have any pointers?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
yep, i dealt with panic attacks for a number of years, still have them periodically but they're not as bad as they used to be (celexa was my friend for a few years... I can't take xithromax because of migraines).

First thing to do is figure out what triggers them for you, then work through that slowly.

Yoga, meditation, and visualization also help when you have them. Picture yourself up in the mountains surrounded by trees, slight breeze, just enough to stir up some light waves on the beautiful lake you're facing with the sun sparkling on the water. breathe in for 5, out for 7, then in for 6, out for 8, keep going at in 6 out 8 until you calm down.
LilHuskiesFootBallMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
KniftyKnitterGal (07-07-2008)
Old 07-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Yes. Has your blood sugar been checked? Such as for hypoglycemia? I experienced terrible attacks some years ago. I would get all fuzzy-minded (oh, goodness, what's new?), shaky, sweaty, sort of spacey. When I told my very attentive doctor in Las Vegas about this she immediately (after other 'remarks' made over a period of time she had logged) ordered a glucose intolerance test. Sure enough, hypoglycemia. In fact, over a period of about seven years she ordered another one. Same thing. Diet, watching all carbs, etc., did help. Not an answer, I am certain, but there can be many reasons for panic attacks. I actually used to classify mine as 'anxiety' attacks. Something to ponder though and to bring up with a trusted doctor WHO will listen to your symptoms. I have to say, no gender bias meant, women M.D,'s are a lot better at listening to symptoms of a woman patient than a male. Our hormones can drive us up the wall, and yet even now, at a very, shall I say, 'advanced' age I now and then still experience some anxiety. Some drugs can help (which I also take - Lexapro -) but I am not suggesting that unless your physican suggests such. Good luck. I know what a bummer it can be - hate to say it - but been there, etc.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wanda Witch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I have had horrible panic attacks, even as recently as a few months ago. Most of the time I can control them by focusing on my breathing and thinking of good memories, things that make me smile or laugh. However, sometimes no matter what I do I can't make the panic attack go away and I just have to let it run its course. Usually they aren't too terribly bad, but I hate the ones where I could swear up and down that I was dying.

Mine usually occur at night, when I'm lying in bed trying to go to sleep. That's usually the only time my mind can really wander and sometimes that's totally not a good thing.

If yours happen at night, maybe try drinking some chamomile or Sleepy Time tea and take a hot bath before bed. Anything that will relax you and help relieve stress. Also, this may sound kind of dumb, but, for x-mas, my mom and dad got me a stocking stuffer: hand held 20 Questions...lol...I swear, I play that when I lie down at night and after about 4 rounds of it, I am OUT! What's nice about the game is it forces you to concentrate on whatever object/animal, etc. you thought of for the game and it really helps clear your mind. I also, occasionally, fall asleep with the game still in my hand...lol...It has a nifty little backlight so you can play it lying down with the lights off. I don't know if that'll help you or not, but, I haven't had one late night (or any for that matter) panic attacks since Christmas!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saracidaltendencies For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
KniftyKnitterGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to KniftyKnitterGal Send a message via Yahoo to KniftyKnitterGal
Thanks guys for the help. I really appreciate it. I do know what triggers my panic attacks. I think it is because I love my boyfriend so much that I am in fear of losing him. I guess my sub conscience got the best of me and that's how the panic attacks started.
Sometimes I am afraid to see my boyfriend because I'm afraid it will start up again. I'm going to see someone on Wednesday, so hopefully this will all go away soon.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
Mike
Working the Gusset

I had them as far back as I can remember (long before they had a name). Then I went so long without any that I forgot I had them, when they came back they got out of hand because I wasn't prepared for them and didn't recognize them.
That's why I started crochet.
So you already do that pointer. Knit and crochet more

I made a CD recording of me talking myself out of the negative thoughts. I played it while I slept and I got a Walkman to play it while I went out (I got so bad I couldn't leave the house).
I used a CDRW so when I came up with something new I could add it.
I also made a bunch of print outs I left around the house to change my thinking from the negative thoughts to positive ones. (Like when I would think, "I don't feel good" I changed it to, "I feel fine".)

If you have a bathroom problem you can take Imodium as a precautionary drug. Finding out where the bathrooms are when you go out will probably help.

Here's a website/forum. http://www.panicsurvivor.com/
I don't go there any more because group therapy is the worst thing for me unless I'm doing worse than those I'm talking to. I never had a problem with flying until I heard other PD people say why they had problems with it and their reasons made perfect sense, if you have an attack on the plane you can't run off.
Good thing I don't fly or else I'd have to take Xanax to get on the plane now.

I haven't been to a shrink but self-diagnosed I have Panic Disorder and not General Anxiety Disorder. Doctors seem to want you to have GAD because it's easier to understand.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

Yes -- my panic attacks are a symptom of an allergic reaction. If I eat or am exposed to corn derived products, I get the sweating/racing heart/fight or flight response.
auntcrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auntcrafty For This Useful Post:
KniftyKnitterGal (07-08-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
kristaj
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm so sorry! I've had horrible anxiety attacks while I was suffering from post partum depression. I've always had anxiety problems, but post baby took them to a whole new level. It got to the point where I was seeing things happen that weren't really happening, like my son falling out of my arms over a third story railing at a mall, or the worst was we were at a stop light and I actually saw two men breaking into my car to hijack it and my children. The only way I ended up stopping them was Paxil with occasional Xanax. I have tried going off meds since my children are now a little older and am past all the post partum periods, but have found that while it doesn't come back at the ultra horrible hallucinating level I still have more anxiety than I can handle, so I stay on a lower dose of Paxil and probably will forever. It just makes me feel like I am "me" again. I know that meds are not for everyone, but I am glad that you are going to a doctor. If nothing else talking about it helps. Also, walking/exercise are supposed to be really good for anxiety and depression. Honestly the best thing that has happened to my mild anxiety that I still have occasionally even on Paxil has been learning to knit this past winter. It calms me down more than anything. Hope you find relief. I'll be thinking of you.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
sylvia
Knitting the Flap

i had them for many years
now not so much
you can feel it coming on
remember it is anxiety and it wont kill you
dont get frightened and dont fight it
it will ease off
try to distract yourself
what ever works for you
sylvia
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sylvia For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
gailf
Ribbing the Cuff

I took Xanex for a while whne my mother was in the hospital with terminal cancer. I knew that was the trigger but it didnt stop the attacks from happening. Just knowing I had the Xanex and could stop it, calmed me down enough and sometimes I didnt even need to take it.
Also someone told me to try Bach Flower Rescue Remedy.
gailf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gailf For This Useful Post: