Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
KnitWit1987
1st Leg of the Journey

Everyone in my family has had panic attacks. My mom started having them when I was about 5. Hers were so severe the doctors thought it was heart attacks. Anyway they figured out they were panic attacks and gave my mom xanax. She stayed on xanex for almost 10 years before it stopped working so they gave her valuim. At this point my mom is a totally different person because of this medicine. She once had to have surgery and they had to take her off of the valuim in order to do the surgery, she had such severe withdrawls I thought she was going to die. I realize that some people just cannot control it on their own and need medication. I ask anyone that is having panic attacks to please try everything else possible before using medication. Any doctor will tell you medicine is the answer, but very often its not. I encourage you to read the book Dont Panic: Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks by Reid Wilson. Fortantly I have been able to control mine with relaxation techniques and I hope you can too
KniftyKnitterGal (07-08-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KnitWit1987
She once had to have surgery and they had to take her off of the valuim in order to do the surgery
That's odd, they had to give me valium to stop the panic attacks so they could do surgery.
Valium should be OK for surgery.

Quote:
I ask anyone that is having panic attacks to please try everything else possible before using medication.
It takes time to try everything possible. Time spent panicking with no relief is a good way to let it get out of control.

Besides me not recognizing the panic attacks were back a major reason mine got so out of hand was because of the doctors not giving me Xanax and trying SSRI type drugs (I never got so far as to get into the actual SSRIs before I said no more) that take weeks to know if they are going to help or hurt.
That left me with debilitating panic for months which turned into agorophobia and the constant panic became a habit I couldn't break.
It was only after I got the Xanax that I was able to get back into the habit of leaving the house without fear of a panic attack.

Many panic people don't experience addiction to Xanax just like epileptics don't get addicted to Klonopin. A friend of my sister's was on Xanax daily, timed release for years and quit without a problem, I've had addiction issues with codeine after surgery and never had a problem with Xanax.
Panic people tend to under medicate rather than over medicate and just knowing they have the ability to stop a series of attacks in their pocket is enough without even taking the pill, so if it's prescribed as needed they tend to not take it unless they really need it.

I think taking it like your mother or my sister's friend were prescribed is the wrong way. The problem wasn't the drugs it was being prescribed them constantly for 10 years. They're a fast working short lasting drug meant to stop anxiety not prevent it.
Xanax taken as needed and coupled with exposure therapy and learning meditation techniques works.

Go ahead and try other routes but don't let it get out of hand while searching.

And doctors may be willing to hand Xanax to women but they sure don't seem willing to give it to men.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
KniftyKnitterGal (07-08-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I had panic attacks when driving in the winter. My husband got me a used Subaru and that calmed them down to anxiety at driving in winter. I ended up on Paxil for depression and anxiety and it worked miracles. I ended up being the designated driver when my friends and I went up the mountain to go x-country skiing. I felt after a year I didn't need the Paxil anymore and the doctor suggested going to a half dose. That worked fine and after a few more months I just quit taking it. I have low level anxiety after about 5 years, but find it not out of the normal and don't feel I need any help for it.
Talk to your doctor and explore the options and drawbacks of various treatments. What works for one may not be at all appropriate for another.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #14
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by KniftyKnitterGal View Post
Thanks guys for the help. I really appreciate it. I do know what triggers my panic attacks. I think it is because I love my boyfriend so much that I am in fear of losing him. I guess my sub conscience got the best of me and that's how the panic attacks started.
Sometimes I am afraid to see my boyfriend because I'm afraid it will start up again. I'm going to see someone on Wednesday, so hopefully this will all go away soon.
Many here has replied about panic attacks and taking medicine for it. I'm in no way underestimating these ways to solve the problem, but the reason you're having them seems more important to me, IMHO. I had a boyfriend for 3 years when i was 19-22 and i loved him so much (or I thought i did) and every time we parted i used to cry and be depressed, exactly for the same reasons you're describing. When he eventually broke up with me, I was a mess - I cried for 2 months or so and thought that i will never find anyone to love me etc etc. After a while I met my DH and had no fears at all. I don't know anything about your relationship with you BF, but for me I found out that if I'm in constant fear of losing the person i'm with - something is not right in the relationship itself. If a couple is having a serious, mature relationship - both sides should feel secure about it. I can always go back to feeling bad every time my DH goes out to work, because many things can happen, but that's just fate - if i'll worry about it, i'll drive myself insane. Maybe you should have a serious talk with your BF, if it won't help - see a psychologist maybe and then resort to medicines. That's just my 2 cents. HTH
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittingNat For This Useful Post:
KniftyKnitterGal (11-29-2010)
Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #15
Hygiene Mama
Knitting the Flap

Yes, I have had several in my years. I'm actually on medication for it and they have dwindled almost to nothing...if I drink caffeine, I feel panicky,
I'm sorry and I hope you can resolve it soon!

I Finally have a ravelry page:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SandyRDH
Hygiene Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
iza
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by KnittingNat View Post
I don't know anything about your relationship with you BF, but for me I found out that if I'm in constant fear of losing the person i'm with - something is not right in the relationship itself. If a couple is having a serious, mature relationship - both sides should feel secure about it. I can always go back to feeling bad every time my DH goes out to work, because many things can happen, but that's just fate - if i'll worry about it, i'll drive myself insane.
I so agree with you, KnittingNat. It's precisely what I think. I'm not sure panic attacks can be caused by "love". There is something else going on here, and I think it's important for you to find out. Sometimes medications are necessary, and if you need them, take them! But it's still important to identify the cause, and see if there are things you can do to avoid them without medication.

Take good care of yourself, and get the help you need!
The Following User Says Thank You to iza For This Useful Post:
KnittingNat (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
Tropicflower24
Turning the Heel

Several people in my family have panic attacks, and I don't think what I get is actaully "classified" as that, but I get really stressed out and really frustrated.....

Something you might try is Bach Rescue Remedy. It's an natural herbal stress releiver.... you can usaully find them at a health food store. They are a little pricy, but my family (9) has had the same bottle for about a year now, and we aren't through it yet. They have both daytime and nighttime formulas.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
KniftyKnitterGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to KniftyKnitterGal Send a message via Yahoo to KniftyKnitterGal
Panic Attack: Update
OK... So I went to the doctor today. Turns out I have an abandonment issue. This is caused by my depression which caused my panic attacks. So I need to sort out my depression. This also means that this has nothing to do with the relationship with my BF. I love him very much and he loves me, we never fight and I still get butterflies in my stomach when I think about him, even after 2 1/2 years!
The abandonment issue was caused from both my mother and father. Once I figure out my depression and such it will be over.
Thanks again guys for the help!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I'm glad you're getting to the root of it. Good luck and take care of yourself
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #20
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

Hmmmm. . . I agree that one should figure out the cause for panic attacks, but I never did. It would just hit me like a ton of bricks and I literally had know idea where they came from or why. I wish I could have gone without taking a prescription for them. Though, I decided it would be better for me to take medicine for it since it can be very dangerous should you have one while you are driving and it wouldn't be good for anyone to pass out. I def. could since mine caused me to not take in air and hyperventilate or get dizzy. Plus, I wasn't sleeping and actually afraid to go to sleep because I was having them in my sleep. For me, the best choice was just getting rid of them with medicine.

Anywhoo- that was 6 years ago and I haven't had one since then. Apparantly it was a result of an imbalance/depression and not something I could just positive-energy-away.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with things and their own set of circumstances.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote